• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Nevada's new background check law blocked by the FBI.

spencer60

Default rank 5000+ posts Lifetime Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
286   0
Reaction score
Looks like the new background check law in Nevada is on hold for a while at least.

The FBI decided they don't have the resources to do all the extra checks required by the law, so they are declining to participate.

"The main reason given by the FBI for why it would not conduct the check is that “the recent passage of the Nevada legislation regarding background checks for private sales cannot dictate how federal resources are applied.”"

This makes the new law completely unenforceable according to the state's Atty. General.

For regular retail sales Nevada FFLs don't talk to NICs directly, but send the query to the state's Central Repository, which checks internal records as well as with NICS.

But the gun control groups that sponsored this referendum never worked with state law enforcement about how the process actually works, and seem to have just assumed the checks would be done solely by NICS.

This left the new law (which only passed by about 1% or under 10,000 votes) in limbo when the FBI refused to support this unfunded mandate.

The icing on the cake is that the law itself stipulates that legislators cannot change any of the wording in it for three years after it goes into effect. So it's not even legally possible to amend it next session so it could then be enforced.

If the FBI doesn't change their mind (and under Trump why should they?) Bloomberg's most expensive victory in 2016 will sit on the books for three years, totally useless.

Great article with all the details here:

http://www.rgj.com/story/news/politics/2016/12/28/nevadas-expansion-gun-checks-blocked/95924384/

I just want Trump to hold the Liberal, lying ass, bias Mass Media accountable for their lies.

This would end a lot of the ignorant masses believing that a firearm is responsible for anything.
I wouldn't be the cops fault for killing career criminals that resist arrest.
It's always the White man being racist.

Every stupid useless law only creates another class of criminals.

If it were illegal to eat fried chicken, or pork BBQ, a lot of folks on this site would become criminals.

The idea of the federal government refusing to implement an unfunded mandate is hilariously funny, given that that has been the major way for the federal government to implement its policies on local governments since WW II.

The idea of the federal government refusing to implement an unfunded mandate is hilariously funny, given that that has been the major way for the federal government to implement its policies on local governments since WW II.

I know... it's kind of the pot calling the kettle black. I'm betting they figured Madame President would compel the FBI to go along. After all, Bloomberg donated enough to her campaign, and was the main force behind her getting up-front on her gun control agenda... he really thought that would be a winner politically.

Back
Top Bottom