• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Never invite a killer to your property

Wait, wait.. wait. Did you ever stop and consider that MAYBE that buck actually identifies as a DOE?!? I mean, did you have the courtesy to ask it? No, you just assssuuuuuumed! You insensitive twit! At least your friend gave it the recognition it so deerly deserved!

:p;)

If you couldn't feel the dripping sarcasm, then your BS meter needs some calibrating! :D

Transgendeer :lol:

Self defense in the rut? Only thing I could come up with. Should of taken a picture of him and said I let him go once and that's all I could do. If you invite me back he is gone. Tell the truth and see what happens.

I don't hunt. I shoot paper and steel and crap like TVs...BUT wtf...If I were looking at that buck and KNEW I said I would only take a doe for meat...passin' that big boy up. And sure, deer don't know property lines...but MEN do. Your word is your bond.

Look, I get where you are coming from. When I let a friend hunt property that I own or lease I generally do so hoping they kill the biggest deer they see...unless there is a specific buck I have on camera and plan to hunt later in the season. Even then, unless I specifically told them not to shoot that deer, I am going to be happy for them, not upset, if they take a trophy. Like you say, unless high-fenced there is no guarantee that I, the owner, will ever get a shot at an older mature deer. And I would rather a friend take him vs the deer starving to death of old age or a stranger on an adjacent property taking him. Big deer like that make few mistakes so you take them when you get the opportunity.
As others have said here big deer can destroy friendships and that's sad. Allowing a friend to hunt with restrictions sets up that possibility.
However, having said all this, the OP has a legitimate beef with his "friend"...who apparently asked and was given permission to take a doe only. If he had a problem with that restriction he should have said so upfront. Or at least clarified with the OP before hunting "What I am gonna do if that monster shows up?" He didn't do that. The other thing that really bothers me is his assertion that it was a mistake because he "didn't see the horns". Really, with a bow? That tells me the guy just isn't honest. As the OP I would much preferred him to just admit "I just couldn't pass him up". Don't lie and make it worse.
Unfortunately the moral of this story for landowners/leaseholders is just don't let anyone hunt your property unless you are ok with them shooting anything they see...or you can really, really trust them. The moral for those given permission to hunt on others property is simple. If there are conditions agreed to before the hunt, honor them. If you know you don't have the self-control to pass a trophy buck then just find somewhere else to hunt.

The "king" may own the deer (I disagree, the people own the deer) but the OP owns the property where he was shot...and that makes all the difference.

Nailed it in one. Man up and say your ego prevented you from keeping your word. At least man up. Not seeing that rack at bow distance...just insulting your intelligence at that point. %em

Back
Top Bottom