• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Never invite a killer to your property

I know how you feel
last season i let my neighbor hunt my favorite stand, as he had not done any good on his land
i told him do not shoot that young 8 pt that shows up
well. he shot the 8pt
said it was a monster (it had a 13" inside spread)

he will not hunt my property again
and him and other neighbors that come to use my skinning pole are not welcomed if bringing small Bucks

thing about the neighbors, the deer i see have to be roaming their land also
to be truthful, Im glad they don't score

I know how you feel
last season i let my neighbor hunt my favorite stand, as he had not done any good on his land
i told him do not shoot that young 8 pt that shows up
well. he shot the 8pt
said it was a monster (it had a 13" inside spread)

he will not hunt my property again
and him and other neighbors that come to use my skinning pole are not welcomed if bringing small Bucks

thing about the neighbors, the deer i see have to be roaming their land also
to be truthful, Im glad they don't score
I have a few good deer on my wall my rule is if it’s smaller than what I have hanging on my wall I’m not gonna shoot it now if it if it’s a deformed junker I may take it out of the herd,For instance this guy last year

Attachments

• 930EB0D1-3AF2-4472-94E2-ED37B18F2D24.jpeg
    930EB0D1-3AF2-4472-94E2-ED37B18F2D24.jpeg
    71.4 KB · Views: 90
I would never invite anyone to my property and not expect them to shoot a big buck if given the opportunity. Hell I want them to score a big buck. Just my take on it, and it is just a deer.

I understand your situation is different, and the guy agreed to your rules. You allowed him to hunt in good faith and he dishonored that. The fact that he did this is really crappy. Oh, and he is absolutely a liar for claiming he did not see horns, and what a ridiculous lie at that...He is a complete d-bag and I.would never speak to him again. Again, just my take.
I pass on so many doe's I don't think I would hunt somewhere that I couldn't shoot a buck. If this guy promised not to shoot a buck it's messed up. I don't think I could agree to those terms, I would have to just find some where else to hunt.:pound:

Wait, wait.. wait. Did you ever stop and consider that MAYBE that buck actually identifies as a DOE?!? I mean, did you have the courtesy to ask it? No, you just assssuuuuuumed! You insensitive twit! At least your friend gave it the recognition it so deerly deserved!

:p;)

If you couldn't feel the dripping sarcasm, then your BS meter needs some calibrating! :D

Wait, wait.. wait. Did you ever stop and consider that MAYBE that buck actually identifies as a DOE?!? I mean, did you have the courtesy to ask it? No, you just assssuuuuuumed! You insensitive twit! At least your friend gave it the recognition it so deerly deserved!

:p;)

If you couldn't feel the dripping sarcasm, then your BS meter needs some calibrating! :D
You mean like one of those trans-vest-does ?? I saw a few of those doing story time to fawns at the library in California before....the big bucks would all tape their horns down and dress up like does. It is disgusting! :rolleyes:

Unless the property was high fenced he does not own the deer or have any rights at all to the deer. The deer belongs to the king(state) The agreement is an issue that needs to be addressed. But the OP has no right to the deer even if he has 37 8x10 color glossy photos of the deer.

Look, I get where you are coming from. When I let a friend hunt property that I own or lease I generally do so hoping they kill the biggest deer they see...unless there is a specific buck I have on camera and plan to hunt later in the season. Even then, unless I specifically told them not to shoot that deer, I am going to be happy for them, not upset, if they take a trophy. Like you say, unless high-fenced there is no guarantee that I, the owner, will ever get a shot at an older mature deer. And I would rather a friend take him vs the deer starving to death of old age or a stranger on an adjacent property taking him. Big deer like that make few mistakes so you take them when you get the opportunity.
As others have said here big deer can destroy friendships and that's sad. Allowing a friend to hunt with restrictions sets up that possibility.
However, having said all this, the OP has a legitimate beef with his "friend"...who apparently asked and was given permission to take a doe only. If he had a problem with that restriction he should have said so upfront. Or at least clarified with the OP before hunting "What I am gonna do if that monster shows up?" He didn't do that. The other thing that really bothers me is his assertion that it was a mistake because he "didn't see the horns". Really, with a bow? That tells me the guy just isn't honest. As the OP I would much preferred him to just admit "I just couldn't pass him up". Don't lie and make it worse.
Unfortunately the moral of this story for landowners/leaseholders is just don't let anyone hunt your property unless you are ok with them shooting anything they see...or you can really, really trust them. The moral for those given permission to hunt on others property is simple. If there are conditions agreed to before the hunt, honor them. If you know you don't have the self-control to pass a trophy buck then just find somewhere else to hunt.

The "king" may own the deer (I disagree, the people own the deer) but the OP owns the property where he was shot...and that makes all the difference.

I wouldn't want the Mr. Magoo shooting in my woods either, even with a pellet gun.
damn straight

What I said was. I DIDNT SEE THE HORNS BECAUSE I WAS AIMING AT A DOE...SHE BENT DOWN TO EAT SOME CORN...I MISSED HER AND HIT HIM BY MISTAKE
doe ducked the arrow

wildbill1973z28 wildbill1973z28
All you got in this world is your word and your balls. I do not care if 3 bucks walked out that size. A deal is a deal.
I would honestly let that entire scenario ruin my friendship. No matter how close. Ain't about the buck. More about principle

Back
Top Bottom