• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

new pocket pistol caliber question

There is a big difference in recoil if you shoot .327 and .357 from the same gun (model), i.e. Ruger LCX. Significantly less recoil from the .327...plus, 6 vs 5 rounds in .327 vs .357.
I think an 'extra' round outweighs the advantage of an additional .045 increase in diameter (.357 vs .312) per bullet.
That said, I think a six-shot revolver in.32 Mag is a good package...and one in .327 Mag is great. The Ruger LRX is light. There are other offerings by S&W and other makers that weigh more.
For me it's not that the 327's stats don't say it's a good SD round it's just that it's not tested in the field like 9mm, 40, 45, 357, 38 special. I'd take any of those over the 327 for SD if I had a choice. I'm not comfortable being the guinea pig for testing new SD rounds. I might do that with a new deer hunting caliber but not with my or my loved ones lives.

I would love to see a 20 gauge pistolized. I know we have the 45/410 deal going. But if you squeezed a 20 gauge down to like 38 length I think that would be radical.

The 32 H&R Magnum was kinda cool. And you could get a clunky looking but very solid built NEF snub revolver chambered in it way back when.
Remember when Ruger had a Blackhawk chambered in 30 Carbine? That was pretty cool.
I had one of those. It was a cattywhomper. It had the feel of .38 spc comeing out of one of those lightweight snubs.

There's plenty of "armchair expertise" with accompanying proclamations of why this caliber or that caliber is 'the best'...but when we review data analyzed by 'those who go and know', a lot of conventional wisdom goes into the round file.

An(other) FBI study refutes a lot of the 'bigger is always better' claim:

"Based in a combination of factors, including so-called “stopping power,” weight and availability, the FBI study shows that the 9mm round penetrates far enough, allows for shooters to carry more rounds, and is more widely available and less expensive than alternative rounds like the .45 ACP or .40 Smith & Wesson.

“Most of what is ‘common knowledge’ with ammunition and its effects on the human target are rooted in myth and folklore. … Handgun stopping power is simply a myth,” the FBI said in its report. “There is little to no noticeable difference in the wound tracks between premium line law Auto enforcement projectiles from 9mm Luger through the .45 Auto.”

Arguing “stopping power” only applies to shots to the central nervous system (the head or neck), the FBI says modern 9mm Luger ammunition retains most of the ballistic characteristics and penetration power as its larger-caliber brethren, but is easier to control and leads to more accurate shots."

The article: https://www.grandviewoutdoors.com/guns/case-closed-fbi-says-9mm-is-the-best-pistol-round/

The study:
http://soldiersystems.net/2014/09/25/fbi-9mm-justification-fbi-training-division/

But as far as "Which caliber has a proven itself 'in the field' in shootings?"...well now: remember how you used to ask Santa to bring you "lots of surprises" in addition to your formal wish list?

Check out this study with emphasis on his charts of performance (in shootings) by caliber. Which caliber leads in "% Actually Incapacitated By One Shot"-? Lo and behold it's .32 (including .32 S&W and .32ACP). That's excluding .32 H&R Mag and. 327 Federal Mag.

Thing is, there are many other 'more formal' studies by the DoJ and other law enforcement agencies that mirror a lot of his findings.

https://www.buckeyefirearms.org/alternate-look-handgun-stopping-power

Attachments

• Ellifritz_OneShot_Percent.png
    Ellifritz_OneShot_Percent.png
    13.6 KB · Views: 12
When in doubt, rely on ballistics. Incapacitating is the key. If they die 3 hours later you may be sharing the morgue with them.

Back
Top Bottom