• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

New reloading bench

rbstern

Hen of Fame Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
115   0
Reaction score
Due to a move and new house build that took nearly a year, I had to pack up my reloading stuff last year. Really missed reloading (and bullet casting). Promised myself, when the new house was done, I would build a nice reloading bench with leftover lumber from the house build. Had in mind that I wanted stations for two different presses via a "quick change" setup, using t-nuts, threaded knobs, and interchangeable wood mounting plates for different tools that could be swapped into the two stations. Here's what I came up with:

Bench is 2x4 construction, fastened to the basement wall on the backside, with 4x4 legs on the front:

reloading bench 2.jpg

The first of two interchangeable tool stations. The wood template is a piece scrap, 1" oak stair tread:

interchangeable station.jpg

Here's the bench, after unboxing my reloading tools.

new bench with stuff.jpg

Here's the reverse view, showing the second station, where I currently have an RCBS trimmer mounted. I have a handful of scrap stair treads left over, so I'll drill them for various tools: Lyman lubrisizer, Lanky knife sharpener, a vice, and maybe a second press, one of these days. Thinking about a Lee Auto Breech Lock Pro.

second station.jpg

When tools aren't in use, I will store them in "slots" on the wall to the left. Leaves the bench open for other tasks, like gun cleaning.

storage.jpg

Still have to get some useful containers for brass, which I'll store under the bench.

nice setup. how high is the bench. i am in the stage of building two ten foot long reloading benches. i don't know if i want to build like you did or buy several kitchen counter bases to use as the base for the bench. my current benches are home made like yours.

nice setup. how high is the bench. i am in the stage of building two ten foot long reloading benches. i don't know if i want to build like you did or buy several kitchen counter bases to use as the base for the bench. my current benches are home made like yours.

35.75"

Kinda of a "tweener" height between sitting and standing. If I want to reload standing up, I'll have to build a riser a few inches tall for the press.

if i had an area in my home for a setup like that i would seriously consider getting into reloading. i have 4 hadguns that shoot 11 different cartridges so it would be worth it.

if i had an area in my home for a setup like that i would seriously consider getting into reloading. i have 4 hadguns that shoot 11 different cartridges so it would be worth it.

I've accumulated this stuff over about 15 years, and I (now) have the room for it. But a space efficient reloading setup can be done with a B&D workmate and a couple of 20 gallon totes holding your supplies. Handgun reloading requires less gear than rifle reloading.

Back
Top Bottom