• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

New sales tax

I moved to this state to get away from that crap. I think Illinois is better on this deal. Up there I payed a flat $25 tax on any used vehicle purchase and a flat $99 per year on tags on the aniversary date.

So for the $10,000 truck I bought used and kept 3yrs I paid $325. And moving here I saved $20 per year on the same truck.
So now, to purchase that same $10,000 truck (assuming I paid gov. approved value) over the same time span would now cost me $760.

Yeah, Im not seeing how this could benefit us (GA residents) any at all.

Those specialty plates are a rip off. I asked about the EMS plate and where the money went an they said it went to the state, obviously I didn't get one.

If the money went to an EMS related cause I wouldn't mind paying it. But I'm not giving more money to the state so I can have a sticker on my plate.

Just to update this a bit, I bought a new car for myself and my spouse just before the change over. there is some special program that they allow you to opt in this program. I bought the car from the dealership and paid 7% sales tax anyways, same withe wife. This friday we will switch over to the new program. My car wont cost me anything over the 7% and prob. be the same thing for the wife. This does indeed only hurt the private sales, but only up front or if you dont keep your vehicle for very long.

How do you go about this?

Wow: http://www.ajc.com/news/news/car-tax-remedy-in-danger-of-stalling/nWcWk/

...So, beginning Friday, the title tax for car sales will be 6.5 percent. But if the new HB 266 passes as changed, “buy here, pay here” dealers would only pay 4.5 percent. The change is supposed to make the bill revenue-neutral or even a net tax cut, though there’s one thing worth noting: The Senate has not received a fiscal note on the new HB 266, so senators don’t know how much money they’ve claimed to have saved taxpayers...

How do you go about this?

So update to this. On friday, I went to the DMV with my dealership bill of sales. I paid 72$ more and now I dont have to Ad Valorem on either mine or my wifes new vehicle. If you bought your car in 2012, you can opt in and pay the difference if any in state determined value vs any dealership tax you paid.

I bought my cars at a dealership and paid sales tax. If you bought your car from a private seller, it will cost 6.5% of GA vehicle value, wherever they get that value from. This will prob be higher than what you actually paid for your vehicle, it was for me and the spouse'd vehicle.

Back
Top Bottom