• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Next purchase suggestions wanted

Every gun lover should have a 1911.

Do you care who makes it? What if it’s a modern one made with powdered metal parts, built overseas?

The P-35 Hi Power is a good and classic design.
I think it’s classier and more sophisticated than a 1911. Every swingin’ Richard Bubba has a 1911 clone. The Hi power holds twice the ammo.

The Walther P 38 is a gun that’s got a lot of military history, a good record of reliability, and the double action /single action trigger system means it’s very well-suited for defensive carry . It’s kind of big and heavy for an eight shot pistol but, you have to give up some performance if you want to go with a classic old-school design.

For revolvers, if you’d be happy with a 38 special consider the Colt D frame 6-shot police style .38 revolvers. They don’t seem to have much collectors’ value even though they were the mainstay of all law enforcement and private security officers and plenty of armed civilians and shopkeepers from the early 1900s thru the 1970’s.

K-frame Smith & Wesson and D-Frame Colt 38‘s are probably the best value. You’ll pay a lot more for 357 — is it worth it to you? Not for me if it were just a range gun or “backup” or spare self-defense gun.

For your budget, a 1911 or an SAA clone, I'd go Uberti with the hammer mounted firing pin, (for authenticity). A S&W 36 might be in reach as well. Many collectible, actual ex military, pistols will break the budget, but there are some surplus Hi Powers out there with interesting histories. You might consider an Inglis Hi Power, the chinese contract ones are pretty reasonable. The Hi Power really is a classic design.

U could also pick up a used sw 57 or 29. Ruger security 6, The rock 1911 as others said as well. Don't get no dang glock 19, that ain't classic and it isn't even an American owned company. Glock has it's place, classic isn't it. Besides they are ugly.
Have to disagree about the Glock 19. It's the most popular CC weapon in the world. I think that makes it an instant classic.

Buy my mkII and we both win!:boink:
IMG_20171027_090120.jpg

Back
Top Bottom