• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Pellet gun suggestions?

seven4eight

Default rank <300 posts
Tracker
20   0
Reaction score
Silly question, but would appreciate any suggestions on best quality pellet guns out there right now for plinking / pest control. Prefer 22 cal, budget would be around $200 tops. Thanks for any help

I have a Crosman Optimus break barrel in .22. It drops squirrels pretty quickly when I can hit them. I can’t seem to be very accurate with it though. Not sure if it’s me or the pellet gun.

This one has 2 barrels, easily interchangeable between .177 caliber and .22 caliber.

My brother bought one several years ago and I shot it one day in his backyard.
It seems to be good.

It is well under $200, but with a scope it may be just slightly over your stated budget.

Check out Pyramyd Air; I've purchased dozens of air guns from them (pistols and rifles). They have a really good resources page with articles and videos, plus their team can help you over the phone or email to narrow down the right gun for you. They also send paper catalogs and ammo articles several times a year. I don't work for them, nor do I have stock in the company; just want to pass along good information.

Check out Pyramyd Air; I've purchased dozens of air guns from them (pistols and rifles). They have a really good resources page with articles and videos, plus their team can help you over the phone or email to narrow down the right gun for you. They also send paper catalogs and ammo articles several times a year. I don't work for them, nor do I have stock in the company; just want to pass along good information.
What kind of air guns do you shoot?

My all time favorites would be an old or old style, wood stock, Benjamin or Crosman pump gun. No recoil, no vibration, simple, easy to operate, compact and very accurate. Those RWS Diana models or the copies vibrate and recoil forward.

I have two scoped break-barrel .177 pellet rifles for pest control in my back yard (in fact, there was a squirrel in my roof gutter yesterday trying to claw into my attic--I heard the noise while in the second bedroom--I waited until it went down into the yard, and...BLAM! No more possibility of an attic fire from chewed wires, at least not from that squirrel!). The rest are just for plinking fun; the CO2 powered BB machine guns (MP-40 and Thompson) are more fun than you can imagine. Lots of CO2 powered "blowback" replica pistols like the Walther P-38, PPK/S, CCP, a couple lugers, C96, several 1911s, etc. The Winchester 1892 lever action CO2 BB gun with it's brass shells ejection feature is pretty neat as well. Ammo is cheap, and I don't have to go anywhere and pay range fees.

My all time favorites would be an old or old style, wood stock, Benjamin or Crosman pump gun. No recoil, no vibration, simple, easy to operate, compact and very accurate. Those RWS Diana models or the copies vibrate and recoil forward.
The recoil forward of air rifles is why they need scopes specifically for air guns; regular scopes will get damaged if mounted on an air rifle. Don't ask me how I know this.😔

The recoil forward of air rifles is why they need scopes specifically for air guns; regular scopes will get damaged if mounted on an air rifle. Don't ask me how I know this.😔
Interesting, mine did come with a scope. It's the Ruger copy. Been thinking of adding the scope, my eyes just aren't what they used to be

Silly question, but would appreciate any suggestions on best quality pellet guns out there right now for plinking / pest control. Prefer 22 cal, budget would be around $200 tops. Thanks for any help
I have a gamo black knight in .177 I’d sell you for dirt cheap. For $200 I would look at a hatsan 95, I think they are the best around that price range. Next step up is Diana/RWS, which are really nice and then there is Weihrauch which is top notch but top dollar. I’ve had/have all of the above and have been into air guns for years so let me know if you have any questions. PCPs are awesome but unfortunately cost a good bit more than $200 for a full set up.

Back
Top Bottom