• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

No longer slave owners

I don’t follow. The money will not be coming from the schools, this just basically says they are now allowed to do endorsements and sell autographs etc. and be paid by third parties.
You realize it's not the schools that will be "paying" them, right? This just says, they can be paid for their likeness and name. So if EA Sports makes a new NCAA video game using the players real names and numbers, they can be compensated for it, since the video game will make 100's of millions of dollars. Or if Nike sells their jerseys the same thing. This has nothing to do with the school or their scholarships.
The players can use the $$$ they earn to PAY the tuitions to the schools they attend. If they don't make enough they can get loans like all the other kids do. No free college degree ride unless it is based on academic excellence.

The players can use the $$$ they earn to PAY the tuitions to the schools they attend. If they don't make enough they can get loans like all the other kids do. No free college degree ride unless it is based on academic excellence.
On the other hand though. How will they know that they will be a star player and be getting paid during the recruiting process?

I still do not follow. They produce revenue for the university so they are compensated with a scholarship. How does this change that?

I still don't think you understand. The school is giving them the scholarship, because they are already making millions of dollars off these kids. The NCAA and colleges already profit from the players. So they figure the nice thing to do is, offer them a scholarship to play for their team as apposed to the other schools team. Do you realize how much money NCAA Div 1 schools rake in each year for athletics? And you're upset that a guy like Jake Fromm might get a $1000 from EA sports if they decide to put him on the cover of their video game that will also rake in 100s of millions of dollars? They're not going to be compensated enough through the use of their likeness to pay for school anyways.

And you're upset that a guy like Jake Fromm might get a $1000 from EA sports if they decide to put him on the cover of their video game that will also rake in 100s of millions of dollars? They're not going to be compensated enough through the use of their likeness to pay for school anyways.
If you truly believe this, than I think you are more naive than I thought was possible. You don't think Nike, Adidas, Gatorade, Tag Heuer, Under Armour or any number of other brands are not going to be beating down the doors on some of these guys for likeness rights? One ad with the right company is millions of dollars...the kid could literally take one picture of them drinking a sports drink and pay for his entire tuition.

I understand that the schools and the NCAA are not the ones paying them, but to give them a scholarship on top of then allowing them to profit from the thing that they already got free? While it may not technically be, it sure does feel like double dipping.

On the other hand though. How will they know that they will be a star player and be getting paid during the recruiting process?
I still don't think you understand. The school is giving them the scholarship, because they are already making millions of dollars off these kids. The NCAA and colleges already profit from the players. So they figure the nice thing to do is, offer them a scholarship to play for their team as apposed to the other schools team. Do you realize how much money NCAA Div 1 schools rake in each year for athletics? And you're upset that a guy like Jake Fromm might get a $1000 from EA sports if they decide to put him on the cover of their video game that will also rake in 100s of millions of dollars? They're not going to be compensated enough through the use of their likeness to pay for school anyways.
Some folks just don't understand that concept.
Your comments are well taken, but too PC. The players will be self-employed contractors. They take the business risks just like everyone else. Good players stay under contract, poor players go to the classroom or Walmart. PERIOD.

If you truly believe this, than I think you are more naive than I thought was possible. You don't think Nike, Adidas, Gatorade, Tag Heuer, Under Armour or any number of other brands are not going to be beating down the doors on some of these guys for likeness rights? One ad with the right company is millions of dollars...the kid could literally take one picture of them drinking a sports drink and pay for his entire tuition.

I understand that the schools and the NCAA are not the ones paying them, but to give them a scholarship on top of then allowing them to profit from the thing that they already got free? While it may not technically be, it sure does feel like double dipping.
Naive? No. Just because I'm OK with a guy not being suspended and the school being sanctioned by the NCAA because he sold his autograph doesn't make me naive. Yes, those brands will be knocking down their doors after they go pro, not at the college level. The majority of these college players won't make it big in the pros. Even top tier college players flop in the pros. Tag Heuer isn't going to give Jake Fromm a million bucks for a watch ad while he's still at UGA, knowing full well he might be a flop next year in the NFL. Most of these guys wont ever see a dime even after this new rule take effect.

I don't see how it's double dipping. The NCAA and college has made way more off the players than they give out in scholarships. The college athletic business is very profitable, and they don't pay guys like Nick Saban and Kirby Smart millions of dollars a year out of the goodness of their hearts. Same for giving out scholarships. It's a business operated as a college sports program, where everyone but the players rack up profits.

Your comments are well taken, but too PC. The players will be self-employed contractors. They take the business risks just like everyone else. Good players stay under contract, poor players go to the classroom or Walmart. PERIOD.
The players take on way more risk than the schools do. If a player is a flop, he gets benched or cut. Probably loses his scholarship. The school just finds the next high school kid who can play and rinse and repeat.

College athletics were the last vestige of amateur sports after leaving grade school. It is a loss towards sportsmanship to allow certain athletes to profit from the game. I'm sure some of you may be old enough to remember when the Olympics didn't allow professional players or endorsements. Not everything has to be about money!

Back
Top Bottom