• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

No longer slave owners

LOL if you think a signed Zion shirt would go for $100k. I just found a signed Zion Duke jersey online for $500. Oh no, Zion made $500!!!!! I wonder how much Duke made off of him?
You completely missed my point (as you did in your post above this). They won't pay $100k for a T-shirt. I thought the amount made the point obvious. That is how they will pay him to go to a specific university. Further it is how they will make a de facto salary. "He's not making a salary, he's just selling the occasional T shirt".
If you want to continue to consider athletes given unprecedented benefits as "victims of evil corporate big atletics" or are just mad at any 10 figure corporation, you'll have plenty of company. EVERYBODY's a victim. Its not "fair!".
This effectively sets up the end of amateur collegiate athletics and players will go to the highest bidder. Congrats... I guess.

how many of you opposed to this still support your favorite teams players once they reach the pros? Joe Burrow is best thing on earth throwing TD’s for LSU for free. When does he make the transition to overpaid crybaby NFL player who hates America that everyone seems to hate so much?
wut?
He's not throwing "for free" and if he's successful in a pro career, good for him.
I personally don't watch scripted "sports entertainment" but don't begrudge those who get rich off the suckers willing to pay them to play. Not sure how cheering on a school's current athletes and ignoring the clown show known as the NFL are related.

wut?
He's not throwing "for free" and if he's successful in a pro career, good for him.
I personally don't watch scripted "sports entertainment" but don't begrudge those who get rich off the suckers willing to pay them to play. Not sure how cheering on a school's current athletes and ignoring the clown show known as the NFL are related.

So you think the NFL is scripted yet somehow college football is pure? And these players that play along only learn the big secret once they graduate to the NFL? What exactly is it that you want to prevent from happening to the college game? Other than players being able to help their mom out with the rent.

So you think the NFL is scripted yet somehow college football is pure? And these players that play along only learn the big secret once they graduate to the NFL? What exactly is it that you want to prevent from happening to the college game? Other than players being able to help their mom out with the rent.
The game is clearly rigged. Its been beat to death. Again if you still enjoy it, no skin off anyone else's nose. Professional wrestling is a huge industry.
As far as college ball, it historically hasn't been because opoosiiton to gambling and no compensation. But I guess we're going to "fix" those problems.

You completely missed my point (as you did in your post above this). They won't pay $100k for a T-shirt. I thought the amount made the point obvious. That is how they will pay him to go to a specific university. Further it is how they will make a de facto salary. "He's not making a salary, he's just selling the occasional T shirt".
If you want to continue to consider athletes given unprecedented benefits as "victims of evil corporate big atletics" or are just mad at any 10 figure corporation, you'll have plenty of company. EVERYBODY's a victim. Its not "fair!".
This effectively sets up the end of amateur collegiate athletics and players will go to the highest bidder. Congrats... I guess.
No I get you're saying, but I think everyone is just blowing it out of proportion. Honestly, if the the NCAA, who thrives on punishing players and schools for any little misdeed involving scrupulous payments, decided it was time for a change, I think it will be fine and won't affect the integrity of the game. And if you think top recruits aren't already getting "paid" to attend a specific university I got a bridge to sell ya. This isn't a liberal I'm a victim argument. It's a who cares how does it affect you or anything about the college game argument. It's not gonna change anything. The star top recruits have been and always will receive special incentives to play for any school that wants them.

The game is clearly rigged. Its been beat to death. Again if you still enjoy it, no skin off anyone else's nose. Professional wrestling is a huge industry.
As far as college ball, it historically hasn't been because opoosiiton to gambling and no compensation. But I guess we're going to "fix" those problems.
No offense, but you're living under a rock if you think high end division one sports don't have any shady business going on behind the scenes. Schools get caught every year in scandals involving paying players, their parents, or gifts, or hookers & blow to recruits, etc, etc.
As far as rigged goes just look at the favoritism shows to certain top schools during games as far as refs calls go.(cough, Alabama). Or how the favorite teams always end up in the top 4 regardless of strength of schedule.

I've never said or remotely implied college sports are the driven snow. There is no comparison between the legitimacy of the competitions however. And yes refs are generally ones doing the rigging. There is still a chasm between college sports and pro sports regarding financial incentives for good reason. That has been eliminated. Another perceived problem has been fixed by liberals, that will have, as always, the unintended consequences of hurting the very thing they supposedly want to help. The only ones living under a rock are those thinking this is about college athletes selling T-shirts or that it ends here. "Need a new car? Momma needs her mortgage covered for 4 years? Here, sign this T-shirt."

I've never said or remotely implied college sports are the driven snow. There is no comparison between the legitimacy of the competitions however. And yes refs are generally ones doing the rigging. There is still a chasm between college sports and pro sports regarding financial incentives for good reason. That has been eliminated. Another perceived problem has been fixed by liberals, that will have, as always, the unintended consequences of hurting the very thing they supposedly want to help. The only ones living under a rock are those thinking this is about college athletes selling T-shirts or that it ends here. "Need a new car? Momma needs her mortgage covered for 4 years? Here, sign this T-shirt."
That exact thing is rampant across the country in football and basketball, how will it be any different now? Honest question.

The only ones living under a rock are those thinking this is about college athletes selling T-shirts or that it ends here. "Need a new car? Momma needs her mortgage covered for 4 years? Here, sign this T-shirt."
But that's already happening under the table. The NCAA is just saying now it's OK. Now the stud players don't have to worry about the NCAA taking their Heisman and sanctioning the school for 4 years because he sold his jersey to help his momma pay the rent.

I understand that the schools and the NCAA are not the ones paying them, but to give them a scholarship on top of then allowing them to profit from the thing that they already got free? While it may not technically be, it sure does feel like double dipping.
All the other students who are allowed to receive academic scholarships can use their talents to work and earn money. I.e. publishing books, working on research for the CDC, working at engineering firms. Heck we hired several Hospitality & Restaurant majors while they were in school so they could get experience. Is that double-dipping?

They’re not profiting from the thing they got for free - college tuition/room/and board. Their profiting from their individual talents. This is free-market at work.

Back
Top Bottom