• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Northern Zone baiting is on the table in both houses for The Northern Zone

That law is absolutely moronic. First splitting the state in half, and second including all "baits". With that law you couldn't even make a mock scrape with the Killdee recipe using shredded apples if you were on a small property because you'd be within 200 yards and line of sight. And if a neighbor put out corn to close the property line, even though they would not be allowed to, you couldn't hunt your own property for at least 10 days until after it's removed. And how in the world can you tell someone that they can't put out some bait on certain areas of their own property if they wanted to just feed wildlife???

Again I have no desire to ever use corn, but I will be glad to see that idiotic law go. As with most everything, if the government would've just used common sense in creating the law in the first place, we'd never be dealing with this issue.

That law is absolutely moronic. First splitting the state in half, and second including all "baits". With that law you couldn't even make a mock scrape with the Killdee recipe using shredded apples if you were on a small property because you'd be within 200 yards and line of sight. And if a neighbor put out corn to close the property line, even though they would not be allowed to, you couldn't hunt your own property for at least 10 days until after it's removed. And how in the world can you tell someone that they can't put out some bait on certain areas of their own property if they wanted to just feed wildlife???

Again I have no desire to ever use corn, but I will be glad to see that idiotic law go. As with most everything, if the government would've just used common sense in creating the law in the first place, we'd never be dealing with this issue.

With all due respect, I question the legality of corn on someone else's property. Don't know if you can be held responsible or cited, for someone property other than your own. Baiting has been legal on the Northern zone for hogs, for a couple of years now.

With all due respect, I question the legality of corn on someone else's property. Don't know if you can be held responsible or cited, for someone property other than your own. Baiting has been legal on the Northern zone for hogs, for a couple of years now.

A person is not allowed to place bait on their property to prevent you from hunting. But if they did it and were caught, you couldn't hunt your area for 10 days until removal - by the letter of the law. I called my local DNR when I moved to the northern zone, and he said they would unlikely enforce it, but you never know. But the other thing is if someone just wants to feed wildlife on their property, how are you going to tell them they can't place it in certain areas of their property.

Here it is straight from the regs. See the way the bold is worded.

IT IS UNLAWFUL FOR ANY PERSON TO:
•Hunt any game animal (except as noted below) or game bird upon, over, around, or near bait.
•Hunt any area for a period of 10 days following complete removal of all bait.
•Hunt any big game or feral hog over bait or place bait on any State or Federal managed lands.
Place bait in a manner that will cause hunting on an adjacent property to be prohibited.

A person is not allowed to place bait on their property to prevent you from hunting. But if they did it and were caught, you couldn't hunt your area for 10 days until removal - by the letter of the law. I called my local DNR when I moved to the northern zone, and he said they would unlikely enforce it, but you never know. But the other thing is if someone just wants to feed wildlife on their property, how are you going to tell them they can't place it in certain areas of their property.

•Hunt any game animal (except as noted below) or game bird upon, over, around, or near bait.
•Hunt any big game or feral hog over bait or place bait on any State or Federal managed lands.
Place bait in a manner that will cause hunting on an adjacent property to be prohibited.
Agree I have talked to my guys and they would not pursue prosecution either. I am well aware of the law and this is such a gray area, it would never see court..I am glad to see this Bill! They have many more fish to fry, without dealing with a baiting problem.

You are correct D. The current law was written to explicitly prevent that. The person placing the bait is at fault and the adjoining property is NOT rendered unhuntable. It's title 27.a.2

You are correct D. The current law was written to explicitly prevent that. The person placing the bait is at fault and the adjoining property is NOT rendered unhuntable. It's title 27.a.2

Except read the regs.

Your "local DNR" is incorrect. Call 5 times get 5 different answers. The provision was put in for exactly this reason.

Your "local DNR" is incorrect. Call 5 times get 5 different answers. The provision was put in for exactly this reason.

Again read the regs. Correct or incorrect makes no difference when they are writing you a ticket. The law is absolutely asinine.

Back
Top Bottom