• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Observations from recent carbine courses I've taught.....

What AR maker is O.K. with steel cased ammo. I do not know of any that even say is is O.K., but not recommender.

Are you asking what brand of AR's run fine with steel cased ammo, or what manufacturers say it is OK to run in their AR's?

Frankly, I don't pay attention to what the owner's manuals say on a weapon system I already know how to run. Can't think of the last time I read one, so I may not be able to answer your question.

Personally, all the AR's I've seen run with steel-cases ammo ran just fine, as long as my recommendations in the OP are followed.

OP, I want to thank you for this thread...and for refreshing it recently. I am a relative newcomer to the AR platform. My experience with firearms is primarily from hunting and shooting for a few decades...but I don't have military or law enforcement experience or training.
I can disassemble a Browning A-5 or a BENELLI in my sleep and know my way around bolt guns.
I got dragged kicking and screaming into the AR world by my 15 year old son a couple of years ago...because he loved them and wanted to compete in 3-gun.
So, over the last couple of years I have studied the platform, the various makers and spent hours on forums talking to those like you who have experience with an AR.
I've learned a lot...and can tell you my experience echoes your conclusions:

"Custom" AR's are fine for competition, including light weight bolt carriers, adjustable gas systems, etc.

But for reliability? Or one to trust as a self defense weapon? I'll take my FACTORY DD, BCM or KAC any day.

One day I'll own another AR-15.
I had an Olympic Arms CAR-15 back in the late 1980s.
It had a lot of jamming issues. I bought it, owned it for a few years and sold it for the same price ($400, I think) that I paid for it. Yeah, I told the buyer that it jammed.

I did have use of a Colt HBAR for a year. A friend of mine from up in Woodstock traded rifles for a year. I lent him my M1 Garand, and I got his HBAR. I took it to a few highpower rifle matches. That was a good gun to shoot bullseyes with, and I imagine that if it were scoped, it would be a good varmint rifle too.

I'm thinking that if I ever get my own AR again, it will be either an SBR or a 16" barreled carbine, with emphasis on light weight. I want it to be about 5 lbs. I only want practical accuracy out to 200 yards. If I ever scope it and shoot it at 600 yards, I'll be happy to hit on paper-- and I mean 36" square paper!

Go to a local IDPA match or carbine match. The amount of malfunctions are downright scary. In my mind, if the gun doesn't run, it gets worked it until it does, or sold/no longer used. Unless you have the ability to dodge bullets, being proficient at shooting will mean squat if your gun goes down in the middle of the fight.

Back
Top Bottom