• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Obtaining an SBR without CWP eligibility

Misdemeanor, as far as an SBR would I lose the 200 if I was denied?

Are you sure they just didn't give you some first offender type probation that said stay out of trouble for this amount of time, and you're good. I don't know what the current laws are for younger people driving, but I thought they may have increased the penalties on certain violations.

Either way though it sounds like you're fine.

Yea if it was not a felony or a domestic you should be fine for both. Sounds like someone at the court house didn't know what they were talking about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

how could a misdemeanor TRAFFIC VIOLATION, a moving violation from title 40 of the Georgia code, ever cost you any of your gun rights?
The only thing I can think of is when you're actually incarcerated. You can't have your gun with you in jail !!! You could have spent a year in jail.

But, since your sentence is fully completed, I don't see ANY way for this to prevent you from getting a GWL, or an NFA weapon registered to you.

Who said that your "reckless driving" (probably a DUI charge that was pled down, right?) would prevent you from getting a GWL for 5 years? Or any period of time?

You have not provided enough information to make an informed decision.

The short answer is that the Georgia laws control whether you can get a GWL, and the federal laws control whether you are eligible for an NFA firearms. Two different set of laws, two different results.

GENERALLY SPEAKING, conviction of a traffic offense that is not a felony would not be a disqualification under federal law.

BUT, I have to emphasize that there is no generalization that can be drawn between eligibility for a GWL under state laws, and eligibility for a NFA under federal laws.

I was told by whoever at the probate court that no matter what the offense is it's a 5 year period after the time you get off probation to the time you can qualify for a GWL. I'm gonna go ahead and apply monday if I get denied so be it I'll wait another year.

how could a misdemeanor TRAFFIC VIOLATION, a moving violation from title 40 of the Georgia code, ever cost you any of your gun rights?
The only thing I can think of is when you're actually incarcerated. You can't have your gun with you in jail !!! You could have spent a year in jail.

But, since your sentence is fully completed, I don't see ANY way for this to prevent you from getting a GWL, or an NFA weapon registered to you.

Who said that your "reckless driving" (probably a DUI charge that was pled down, right?) would prevent you from getting a GWL for 5 years? Or any period of time?

Yeah lol it was a DUI pled to a reckless driving after we took it to state court.

OK so before anyone jumps my ass, I am legal to purchase firearms. I have bought several firearms at gander mountain, academy, gun shops etc. Basically I was on probation when I was 18 for reckless driving and in Georgia you cannot obtain a carry permit until 5 years after you are off probation (22 almost 23 now so about 1-1/2 years left). My question is would I be denied for an SBR or suppressor for this same reason if I applied or would it not matter?

Im 23 and i own a suppressor .

Back
Top Bottom