• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

OC folks, check out this police encounter....

I am unclear on the producing ID if asked. It's my understanding if a cop asks for ID, even with no reasonable suspision of a crime committed, you have to show it.
Anyone know what this is for sure?

There is law and there is case law.

To sum it up, an officer must have a legal reason to ask you for such ID. This would be if you were tresspassing and the owner called the police and in order for him to cite you or issue you a criminal tresspass warning, he would have to ID you. If your operating a vehicle and he initiated a traffic pull over etc. I listed a link to another forum members website, I trolled him and he knows his stuff http://chiefweems.wordpress.com/2010/08/03/the-2-3-4-rule-2/

Now, if you are just minding your own business and a cop comes up to you, he has to have ARS to ask you for ID, like he believes a crime is afoot or has been committed. Therefore, if you are not breaking the law, nothing you are doing represents that a crime has occured, about to occur or he does not have prior knowledge of you (Terry vs Ohio), then you do not have to show the officer nothing.

However, since most cops get case law updates that tend to give what the "norm" is going on regarding an issue, they usually get confused and lump the case law into actual law and violate our rights. So wearing OC is not a norm and when people see it, they call the police to see what is going on. The cop has to respond to the call and make sure the guy is not a threat. It is a tough situation for the cop, but, if more people would OC, then the cops around here would respect it and law abiding citizens would not be harrased, as Im sure that cop in the video went off and cried lol

An example is in Gwinnett County, case law stated that the passenger of a vehicle that has been pulled over for a traffic offense and a criminal offense was discovered (drugs, weapons etc) must present ID to the officers upon request. Since the passenger can be cited for not wearing a seat belt, open container etc, though not operating the vehicle, the passenger can be held to producing ID. This was taken to the state and the state won, therefore, we (when I was an officer) were instructed that it was legal to request ID from the passenger if need be without PC.

Read the link, it will explain the types of leo encounters, RAS, PC and just about anything you need to know from an active LEO.

yay more dumb cops. Not the OC fault it is the cities fault for not educating officers of the law. This is not a point to not OC. You are trying to use circumstantial evidence and point out reasons to not OC. Dumb cops, clueless civilians and assholes like this does not mean OC is bad it just shows how Gun owners need to work together to stop this kind of crap from happening.

I say we need to hit all the firearm forums and petition everyone to have an OC Day in GA ! Then, the cops will be getting calls about mass people walking around armed and once the message gets out, they will learn about OC rights and the citizens will get the shock factor out of their system, then, it will be Texas 1850 in GA

I love how people can treat cops like **** but have no problem calling them when they need help. What goes around comes around. What an a$$hole and I'm not talking about the cop.

I love how people can treat cops like **** but have no problem calling them when they need help. What goes around comes around. What an a$$hole and I'm not talking about the cop.

Swing batter batter. I know the guy in the video did treat the officer like crap but if you are supposed to enforce the law and do not know the law then you should seek a new occupation.

I don't see the point behind talking back to a cop like that unless of course your looking to start **** and your an a$$hole. My point is to treat people like you like to be treated and not get into other peoples business like this guy clearly was doing. He came over to purposely agitate things. He is an a$$hole. This guy was not doing anything to help the situation. People here seem to celebrate when some guy harasses a cop when he asks to see a permit or a DL and talks back. Lame.

Back
Top Bottom