• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

ODT sucks

I've actually been griping about costs myself recently to the local gun store because they are actually the ones that referred me here. I do very much enjoy the forum but I do have a genuine questions:
To the people who are selling their used guns at the same cost, if not more, than new guns, Why?
I really do look for a genuine answer to the thought process. The only thing I save realistically are the taxes but lose out on the warranty.
Has anyone got an answer to this?
Because they're trying to recoup funds on their buyer's remorse.

I've been on this platform for quite a long time. If you want the short version, just read this paragraph and the next. This place has become an absolute s*** show, dumpster fire, where the old rules no longer apply, and anything of value is gone. This is a broad generalization of the current state of ODT and sadly I don't see it getting any better moving into 2024 and it being an election year.

My grievances and complaints are these.

1. Used guns on here now, cost more than new guns.
2. In 2023 I added more people to my ignore list by a factor of two then I had in all years of being on the platform.
3. Shady as f*** new people. Showing up 30 minutes late in your hoopty with three of your homies, smelling like drugs and talking about illegal activities to a gun deal.
4. Leaving negative feedback that meets the criteria and then it mysteriously disappears.
5. Sight rules mean nothing. Basically the new armslist. I'll take it means nothing. Date time, location price greet-upon means nothing. We've now become first come first serve.
6. Value of commodities. If you can't get it cheaper anywhere else why would you think you would get additional discount? $350 glock. Will you take$200 and come to me.
7. Pitiful trade offers. If you value something at $1,000 and someone offers you something in $500 in value, why would anyone take that deal? My humble outlook on this is if you're greater than 10% difference somebody's going to get offended.
8. Reporting illegal activity to the moderators. I believe one one out of the three where banned.

I'm not sure how ODT got this bad. This place used to be pretty fun. Meet great people, share some stories and knowledge, shoot the s*** and help each other out from time to time. There's always been time so where people have argued back and forth about tin foil hat conspiracies and we'd all push each other's buttons. We're all grown men and it was entertaining and fun.

I'd love to see the restoration of once What was. However, we all know that that never happens.

If you got ideas I'm happy to hear them.

To the moderators. I can't imagine the crap you guys have to deal with. My apologies if my words offend you but this is user experience coming from somebody who's used your platform for probably over a decade.

And lastly, just in case I am permanently banned.
Long live @Bypass,
F*** flippers and dolphins.
Popcorn emoji Is the s***.
Led Zeppelin and journey rock.
People who like CrossFit and people who like olights are the same people.
It was fun until it wasn't. Wishing you all greener pastures.

Semper FI.

:pop2::popcorn:🐬

Recommend you think about it a bit more philosophically. With 122,000 members, expecting this site to be like it was a decade ago is akin to moving to a big city and lamenting over life there not being like the small town you grew up in.

Socialize with the folks you like and respect. Let the stuff that bothers you fade away. Use the feedback system to trade with trustworthy people.

I've actually been griping about costs myself recently to the local gun store because they are actually the ones that referred me here. I do very much enjoy the forum but I do have a genuine questions:
To the people who are selling their used guns at the same cost, if not more, than new guns, Why?
I really do look for a genuine answer to the thought process. The only thing I save realistically are the taxes but lose out on the warranty.
Perhaps, the little woman said, "Sell that s#!t!!!" and the high prices show intent but not actual selling. :hat:

I put a lot of it down to two things.

1. Buyer's remorse. You buy a gun and you don't really love it, and so you wished you had that money back. You look at the receipt, realize that the tax you paid is a sunk cost - you can't charge someone that - and try and "get your money back"

2. Related to the first - lack of willingness to go see what someone could buy the gun for as a new item. There are some great deals out there for new guns if you're prepared to search for the one you want. Most people aren't going to want to go and find out just how little that gun they already own can be bought for.

And so people rationalize. "I put an extra $100 into 'enhancing' the gun too! That's GOTTA be worth something!"

Nope. Almost never. Even for generally-accepted upgrades like triggers and sights.

Edit - looks like November Sierra November Sierra and I were reading each other's minds.

I think some people paid too much at their good ole LGS. They don't realize their asking price is unrealistic because it's entirely based on what they paid for it. I wanted to buy a firearm from someone (not on here) who kept kicking around theoretical prices. He paid x dollars for it "and that's in 2005 dollars!" He was trying to figure out how to get back what he had into it adjusting for inflation. I showed him what they had sold for on GB recently and that was pretty much the end of it.

Things you may have forgotten to mention.
There is more whining and complaining than anything.
Everything turns either into a political or racist rant.

I will admit a lot has changed in my 14 years here. I am thankful that while it tells how long we have been here it doesnt tell of the hours we have wasted scrolling here.

This place is a lot like walmart. Folks complain yet here we are.

I put a lot of it down to two things.

1. Buyer's remorse. You buy a gun and you don't really love it, and so you wished you had that money back. You look at the receipt, realize that the tax you paid is a sunk cost - you can't charge someone that - and try and "get your money back"

2. Related to the first - lack of willingness to go see what someone could buy the gun for as a new item. There are some great deals out there for new guns if you're prepared to search for the one you want. Most people aren't going to want to go and find out just how little that gun they already own can be bought for.

And so people rationalize. "I put an extra $100 into 'enhancing' the gun too! That's GOTTA be worth something!"

Nope. Almost never. Even for generally-accepted upgrades like triggers and sights.

Edit - looks like November Sierra November Sierra and I were reading each other's minds.
We're on the same cycle

It's no wonder why Okuma hasn't gone public.
I can't imagine that first stock holder's meeting.

iu

Back
Top Bottom