• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Official ODT Silver Thread

anyone buying silver at this time? i'm always on the lookout. Just started, my son got interested in collecting coins about a year ago. He's going to college and working a nearly FT job, every paycheck he invests 10% into silver. Usually ASE's. He's a friggen index when it comes to coin knowledge at least what he's absorbed so far.
Did some coin roll hunting with him over the holidays. (lol love the hunt, hate the unroll,reroll)
$250 box of dimes - no silver. Did fill a few holes in his collecting book or upgraded existing.
$500 box of quarters - zip for silver - found 1 gold quarter that got me excited for a second.
$250 box of nickels - zip for silver
$190 worth of half dollars - not 1 single silver :-( however filled or upgraded about $25 worth in his book.

So far nothing but helping upgrade/fill collection. Did find two 2015 half dollars which I understand shouldn't be in circulation. Any value?

God the bank is loving me turning all that back in :-). Will be doing $1k worth of 1/2 coming from the Feds in the next few days.

anyone buying silver at this time? i'm always on the lookout. Just started, my son got interested in collecting coins about a year ago. He's going to college and working a nearly FT job, every paycheck he invests 10% into silver. Usually ASE's. He's a friggen index when it comes to coin knowledge at least what he's absorbed so far.
Did some coin roll hunting with him over the holidays. (lol love the hunt, hate the unroll,reroll)
$250 box of dimes - no silver. Did fill a few holes in his collecting book or upgraded existing.
$500 box of quarters - zip for silver - found 1 gold quarter that got me excited for a second.
$250 box of nickels - zip for silver
$190 worth of half dollars - not 1 single silver :-( however filled or upgraded about $25 worth in his book.

So far nothing but helping upgrade/fill collection. Did find two 2015 half dollars which I understand shouldn't be in circulation. Any value?

God the bank is loving me turning all that back in :-). Will be doing $1k worth of 1/2 coming from the Feds in the next few days.
Coin roll hunting ain’t gonna yield anything

In all my coin collecting days I may have found 5 silver coins, 1 or 2 dimes and the rest war nickels (I started 6 or so years ago and every week would get a bunch. Even did the half dollar 500 box twice with no luck, not even 40%ers)

For me the spot is just a tad too high to buy also; I’m in at 16 under

The days of finding silver in coin rolls are done. Every bank teller is on the lookout for it, perk of the job I guess.
You might be surprised; a bunch of tellers have no idea. I chat with the tellers in my branches and a lot of them are super ignorant to it

You might be surprised; a bunch of tellers have no idea. I chat with the tellers in my branches and a lot of them are super ignorant to it
Unless someone brings in a bunch of coins they found rolled in grandma’s attic there is very little chance of finding anything of value. If someone does bring in a lot like this chances are real good someone in the bank will be heads up and check for silver, not likely to reach the public.

Unless someone brings in a bunch of coins they found rolled in grandma’s attic there is very little chance of finding anything of value. If someone does bring in a lot like this chances are real good someone in the bank will be heads up and check for silver, not likely to reach the public.

Most likely the younger tellers at major branches. At my local small town banks, even the 19 year old teller scopes for change in every deposit. I try to keep them all buttered up incase someone comes in with more than they personally can buy. It has not happened yet, but it will.

Back
Top Bottom