• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Official ODT Silver Thread

I can't go through all 830 pages of this thread again, but I have questions...
Now, I don't hold any physical metals... (I did but I bought a puppy with them and then the puppy ran away). But I am a regular consumer of media that recommends having old dimes and silver rounds 'because that will be the barter economy one of these days.'
How exactly will such an economy work? I know that p2p transactions already happen on this forum. If I were hungry, what stores would be friendly to me walking in with a face dollar in junk silver and getting a bag of groceries or hamburgers for me and the wife?
If I were to go to (forum sponsoring store) would I be out of line to ask to pay in metals?
I doubt the last couple cases! There is ample rhetoric about "silver=real money=liberty" but the currency of 'non liberty' is the one anyone wants...
Are people who hold the view of silver as a barter currency just waiting for that bad-case scenario? Is there any desire for a parallel economy? How would one emplace that? It seems improbable to just move from cash to mayhem to silver without anyone having practice speaking in silver.

Does anyone in this thread have strong feelings about the above subject matter? This almost feels like it should be a separate thread, but I don't really want to hear from the crypto people.
no one wants the collapse, but we are already here and folks dont realize it. what we advocate isnt the end of society, but a return to sensible commerce/wealth system in which your money isnt denuded through monetary or fiscal policy (austrian economics FTW, read mises or hoppe, they outline why keynsian and milton belief is flawed)

i cant think of anything more dystopian and dreadful than a system in which a working mans dollar is devalued in contrast to an investment dollar via collusion among banking cartels and those in our very own government. for every dollar you work for they print 100.

since we are civilized the progenitors and benefactors of this scheme (fiat) wont face the same fate as those in the past have faced for coin clippings and assignats (death), so the best we can hope for is a widespread debasement of their power by putting it into the hands of common people. fiat is debt based serfdom, a return to a monetary system in which the money is not created out of thin air is always favorable. real labor=real value=real store of wealth=real power

I have a container from Royal Canadian Mint, that is still sealed, with, 10 half oz. Devil'a Brigade .9999, 2$ coins.
Asking 300$
I just now ordered 3 Maple Leaves from JM Bullion. They were $31.00 and change. But they stick it to you when you pay with a card for another $1.00 each.
I like the Maple Leaves and Canadian stuff because it's 4 9's fine instead of 3 9's.

Is there any value in old silver utensils, dishes, etc? Got some I probably want to move.
yes. are they sterling silver or plated? either way send them off to a smelter who will smelt them, take their cut and send you back an ingot (or check). Or you could sell them to someone here who would then likely do that themselves or has the equipment/knowledge/guts to mess with deadly chemicals to DIY it.

Is there any value in old silver utensils, dishes, etc? Got some I probably want to move.
Silver jewelry or flatware is usually.925 silver or Sterling. Still has value but not like the .999 stuff. Find a good and silver exchange and I'm sure they will give you the spot price for what you have.

From what I see on my JM Bullion app silver is slowly climbing every week which is fine with me since I ain't done buying. Lately it's tough for me to decide between generic rounds or 90% silver. Trying to fill a cigar box of each. I kinda like the 90% junk silver because it's already circulated and worn. So I don't have to worry about capsules or plastic covers. You can just throw it in the box.

Back
Top Bottom