• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Officiating

IMG_1300.JPG

Here's the problem with UGA fans:

Most sports fans share a common optimism and hope for their individual team’s projected record based on the scheduled opponents to be faced. Top NCAA football teams often play weaker programs in the early weeks and by week 3, they enter conference play with a few wins under their belt. After a few in-conference wins, fans begin to project the probability of future wins based on match-ups with scheduled teams considering each school’s record, stats, and whether the game is played at home or on the road. By the time the college football rankings take shape, there is insight as to how the national playoff picture might shake out. This is when fans realize that their school actually has a shot at contention.

The problem with UGA fans is not unique to them, but it is relatively simple. Every season before the first spring practice, Bulldog fans across America believe deep down in their souls that UGA will be national champions by season end. This is not a new phenomenon. It has been the case at least since their 1980 national title. The fact that UGA is in the weaker division of the SEC adds to this delusion, along with pre-season rankings, polls, and even ranking their recruiting class. (It is not enough to think they will win a championship before the first snap, no, they will be national champions for years to come.) This explains why UGA fans are always upset when national rankings are revealed, and they aren’t in the top 4 teams. Then the whining begins about how every other team is over rated and immediately discredit any school which is not scheduled to face an SEC opponent. (SEC superiority complex?)

Other Atlanta sports fans are different. While we may share optimism, and base this season’s possible projected outcome, there is an underlying pessimism which acknowledges the reality that our team will face defeat at some point due to past experiences. Some UGA fans show this pessimism during the season by admitting that teams like Auburn worry them, while others “ain’t skeered bout nobody”, and end up losing paychecks on the national championship game or end up wearing Bama attire the following week due to their idiotic wagering.

So how do UGA fans ease the pain and prevent themselves from the torment of being let down by a group of kids playing a game? Maybe they should consider a few facts:

· All SEC teams aren’t guaranteed top 5 rankings

· AP and Coaches Polls aren’t conspiring against UGA

· Herschel Walker hasn’t played NCAA football since 1982

· Vince Dooley retired in 1988

· All inevitable losses aren’t due to officials calling the game in favor of your opponent

As for me, I love my Atlanta sports teams, and I’m a season ticket holding Georgia Tech fan. I have reasonable expectations for our teams each year, but I also get frustrated when we snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. I also happen to be one of those jerks who loves to watch UGA lose. #THWg

Here's the problem with UGA fans:

Most sports fans share a common optimism and hope for their individual team’s projected record based on the scheduled opponents to be faced. Top NCAA football teams often play weaker programs in the early weeks and by week 3, they enter conference play with a few wins under their belt. After a few in-conference wins, fans begin to project the probability of future wins based on match-ups with scheduled teams considering each school’s record, stats, and whether the game is played at home or on the road. By the time the college football rankings take shape, there is insight as to how the national playoff picture might shake out. This is when fans realize that their school actually has a shot at contention.

The problem with UGA fans is not unique to them, but it is relatively simple. Every season before the first spring practice, Bulldog fans across America believe deep down in their souls that UGA will be national champions by season end. This is not a new phenomenon. It has been the case at least since their 1980 national title. The fact that UGA is in the weaker division of the SEC adds to this delusion, along with pre-season rankings, polls, and even ranking their recruiting class. (It is not enough to think they will win a championship before the first snap, no, they will be national champions for years to come.) This explains why UGA fans are always upset when national rankings are revealed, and they aren’t in the top 4 teams. Then the whining begins about how every other team is over rated and immediately discredit any school which is not scheduled to face an SEC opponent. (SEC superiority complex?)

Other Atlanta sports fans are different. While we may share optimism, and base this season’s possible projected outcome, there is an underlying pessimism which acknowledges the reality that our team will face defeat at some point due to past experiences. Some UGA fans show this pessimism during the season by admitting that teams like Auburn worry them, while others “ain’t skeered bout nobody”, and end up losing paychecks on the national championship game or end up wearing Bama attire the following week due to their idiotic wagering.

So how do UGA fans ease the pain and prevent themselves from the torment of being let down by a group of kids playing a game? Maybe they should consider a few facts:

· All SEC teams aren’t guaranteed top 5 rankings

· AP and Coaches Polls aren’t conspiring against UGA

· Herschel Walker hasn’t played NCAA football since 1982

· Vince Dooley retired in 1988

· All inevitable losses aren’t due to officials calling the game in favor of your opponent

As for me, I love my Atlanta sports teams, and I’m a season ticket holding Georgia Tech fan. I have reasonable expectations for our teams each year, but I also get frustrated when we snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. I also happen to be one of those jerks who loves to watch UGA lose. #THWg

Yawn.

How does this continue to go on and on and on??? If ever a Moderator was needed to step in and.... oh, never mind, the OP is a Moderator!! Kind of like a bad call on the field in the minds of a LOSING team... it just won't go away!

How does this continue to go on and on and on??? If ever a Moderator was needed to step in and.... oh, never mind, the OP is a Moderator!! Kind of like a bad call on the field in the minds of a LOSING team... it just won't go away!
Lol. It goes on because people, lately sore winners, keep posting. The facts are clear in link in the OP soooooo....
Why does it go on? Guilty conscience perhaps? General obnoxiousness? Who is to say?

Lol. It goes on because people, lately sore winners, keep posting. The facts are clear in link in the OP soooooo....
Why does it go on? Guilty conscience perhaps? General obnoxiousness? Who is to say?
I'd say embarrassed winners, as I said I would rather lose like Ga. did than win like Ala. won. I admire the way we lost we fought and fought good. If we would have gotten the calls like Ala. did and won, guess what, well we already know what you guys would say.

Back
Top Bottom