• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

One nice gun vs many "cheaper" guns

One nice gun or 2 ok guns?

• Total voters
Good point Bear44 but unfounded.

As a 100% 1911 owner by choice, I'm not responsible, accountable or even concerned for how 1911 fans look. Any gun ownership is by choice and choice alone. How one 'looks' is also a choice, for which in some cases, their sole complex.

OK, I get it. You are only making yourself look bad. That works.

As one 1911 fan to another, I guarantee I can get any of your 1911s to malfunction sooner that any Glock. The argument that a 1911 is as reliable as a Glock is settled. It's not. Is a 1911 reliable enough when properly cared for? Sure it is. But that's not the point that sinac84 is making.

Last edited:
A 1911 is an excellent EDC and when properly maintained I will trust it with my life every day for SD. However, my SHTF sidearm is a Glock because in that situation being able to do proper cleaning and care is a serious question. It's also set up to be primarily a 9mm, but can also us 40S&W. Why do I use a 45 for SD, but 9mm for SHTF? Because there is a big difference between SD and a firefight. In SD the first few rounds almost always determine the outcome, so I want a powerful round. In a firefight, capacity of the weapon is much more important, so I use a high cap. This also means that between the two weapons I can use any one of the three most popular handgun rounds. Different weapons for different jobs based on objective logic.

Last edited:
I like quality stuff, but I've found that once you get to a certain level its hard to tell the difference in performance between good and really, really good.

Example.
I wanted a Beretta Silver Pidgeon O/U ($2000), I ended up buying a Russian O/U for $300. The gun operates the same, the wood on the Russian guy is nice. For the couple times a year I shoot the O/U the Russian gun is fine. I no longer want a Beretta.

I have a couple nice 1911's, Sig's Kimber. I have shot a couple of the much nicer 1911's. I dont see the difference in performance, look/feel, etc. I dont feel the need for a $2000 1911.

I like quality stuff, but I've found that once you get to a certain level its hard to tell the difference in performance between good and really, really good.

Example.
I wanted a Beretta Silver Pidgeon O/U ($2000), I ended up buying a Russian O/U for $300. The gun operates the same, the wood on the Russian guy is nice. For the couple times a year I shoot the O/U the Russian gun is fine. I no longer want a Beretta.

I have a couple nice 1911's, Sig's Kimber. I have shot a couple of the much nicer 1911's. I dont see the difference in performance, look/feel, etc. I dont feel the need for a $2000 1911.

For me, the esthetics of a good quality 1911 does effect my choice. A good 1911 is almost a work of art, but I won't compromise functionality for looks. As for the O/U, barrel regulation is one of the big differences between the high end and low end shotguns. If you have an inexpensive O/U that has well regulated barrels you're lucky, because that's not the norm.

When shooting, have you noticed you have a tendency to hit more reliably with one barrel over the other? If so, you may want to do some shooting on a pattern board, you may be unpleasantly surprised.

Last edited:
For me, the esthetics of a good quality 1911 does effect my choice. A good 1911 is almost a work of art, but I won't compromise functionality for looks. As for the O/U, barrel regulation is one of the big differences between the high end and low end shotguns. If you have an inexpensive O/U that has well regulated barrels you're lucky, because that's not the norm.

When shooting, have you noticed you have a tendency to hit more reliably with one barrel over the other?

agree 100%

Back
Top Bottom