• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Paying for someone's gun?

So by many on here’s reasoning, if someone pays via Pay Pal and the gun is shipped. Then Pay Pal just facilitated a straw purchase.
This doesn't make any sense so Citi Bank, American Express, Chase, Wells Fargo, and every credit card company out there your talking about.

whether is is paypal or a cc company your are attached to it.

First, let me start this out by saying this is all hypothetical....

Say person A wants to buy a gun from B. Person A is a Georgia resident and a citizen with a clean record, but he's poor and he barely speaks English. I decide to take it upon myself to be his Santa and "micromanage" the deal between them because person A is very dear to me.

I contact person B, who is selling a gun. I set up a deal, I pay for the gun on A's behalf, and tell person B to go to person A's house for the meet ...

I don't consider it a straw-man because I'm not buying the gun using my own credentials and giving it to person A. Essentially, the deal is still between A and B. I'm just doing all the work for A so he doesn't have to. He still has to go through the legal process. The cash is simply coming from me...

As you've clearly indicated Person B is a non-FFL private party selling "a gun" and will
meet at home, this can't be a "straw purchase." No law says private party buyers can't conceal their identity, use a purchasing agent, or otherwise fail to disclose every aspect of the deal.
No records need be kept, unlike buying from an FFL (dealer).
You know Person A is legal to own guns in the USA, so you aren't helping a prohibited person unlawfully get a gun.

If Person B were a GUN DEALER, however, I'd say it has the appearance of impropriety and the dealership should refuse the transaction because it LOOKS LIKE you are sending this friend to buy the gun for you. That's because you selected the gun, did the negotiation, and paid for it with your money. That adds up to reasonable suspicion, even if none of those things alone are illegal or even suspicious. But together, they can be.

As you've clearly indicated Person B is a non-FFL private party selling "a gun" and will
meet at home, this can't be a "straw purchase." No law says private party buyers can't conceal their identity, use a purchasing agent, or otherwise fail to disclose every aspect of the deal.
No records need be kept, unlike buying from an FFL (dealer).
You know Person A is legal to own guns in the USA, so you aren't helping a prohibited person unlawfully get a gun.

If Person B were a GUN DEALER, however, I'd say it has the appearance of impropriety and the dealership should refuse the transaction because it LOOKS LIKE you are sending this friend to buy the gun for you. That's because you selected the gun, did the negotiation, and paid for it with your money. That adds up to reasonable suspicion, even if none of those things alone are illegal or even suspicious. But together, they can be.

Illegal to knowingly sell a firearm to an out of state resident or a convicted felon, it says nothing about proving the buyers legal or residential status. BOS? it protects you. lol
What you don't know doesn't matter.

If you pulled up to a firearm transaction with Alabama plates on your ride, I'm going to need some GA ID, otherwise I have no reason to believe that you are a non resident or a convicted felon.

Back
Top Bottom