• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Pig Hunting

Where are you gonna be hunting? And where are you gonna want to drop them off at? I'm pretty sure that little shack in Winder processes hogs now. There is a guy in Carnesville that I take my deer to cause I hunt in Martin. He does cattle and hogs also; don't see why he couldn't do a wild hog. I think there are only 2 processors listed in the phone book up there and he's one of them. Think it's just called Custom Meat Processing. I switched to him last year and will be going to him from now on.

I use a place up in Carnesville called Dorminys (Farmers Academy Rd). Best deer jerky EVER! He does hogs also, at least I have seen them in the cooler.

Heard all about dormineys jerky but it was 6 oclock on a sunday night and they didn't answer either number I had for them. I was very happy with the job the guy in the phone book did.

How much land is there to hunt on Hunter Army Air Field? I did a job on the base a while back and don't remember it being that big.

I hunt pigs regularly. Your normal deer hunting gear will be fine. If you are going to bait them then corn with a little grape powdered drink mix on it works great. I wouldnt recommend souring the corn though. The pigs love it but soured corn creates aflatoxins which are extremly bad for you. So if the pig eats the soured the corn and you eat the pig then there is a very good chance that you ingested the aflatoxins. I trap hogs as well and so far it has worked out well for me. I caught 7 about a week ago at the same time in the same trap. There is a pic in the photos section. As far as cleaning I skin them then cut off the shoulders, hams, back straps, and tenderloins. I dont try to take the ribs and I dont gut them. Look forward to seeing pics of your pigs. Good luck.

Last edited:
Great info, now I have to find a local farmer to let me harvest!
Good luck with that... Georgia farmers piss & moan about all the damage hogs do but one allowing hunters on his./ her property is whole new game. Most hold out their hand for a hunting fee. Or pay someone for hog eradication rather then allow safe responsible hunters. Most will also not allow hog doggers within 10 yards of their farms. Any farmer leasing his hunting rights would probably not allow a random hog hunter on their land.... so you are usually left to sign up with a hunt club that has hogs... public land, or finally a pay hunt...

Good luck with that... Georgia farmers piss & moan about all the damage hogs do but one allowing hunters on his./ her property is whole new game. Most hold out their hand for a hunting fee. Or pay someone for hog eradication rather then allow safe responsible hunters. Most will also not allow hog doggers within 10 yards of their farms. Any farmer leasing his hunting rights would probably not allow a random hog hunter on their land.... so you are usually left to sign up with a hunt club that has hogs... public land, or finally a pay hunt...

This is where a walk in hunting program could do the state good and make the farmers put up or shut up.. In Kansas the state rents land from farmers, establishes species present, and lists it in a list serv to hunt from august 31st to February first. If the farmers complain the state can rent their land and let hunters use it. The way it works in Kansas is the farmers self report violations they notice on land, the game wardens add it to their daily routes during season. You can cover the entire cost of the program by adding a 2.50$ to license fees. Kansas then after so many years with the program started evaluating land for use based on game quality due to the abundance of people applying making it better for the sportsman. This also drove the prices of hunting clubs down in Kansas because it afforded more opportunities away from clubs for sportsman to use. When Kansas first reported Feral hod problems they allowed farmers to sign up for special state run hunts where hunters paid to hunt. 50$ got you a place to hunt with identified hog signs and you were part of a three member team put into a lotto for shooting the highest weight of combined pork. It ran for one year and then the season stopped together after three years. The point is is that hunters could make some real change in the hog population and help make the farmers money for doing absolutely nothing.

Jjmik... I see the problem.... You're not in Kansas anymore... just raggin ya bud... It just chaps we when farmers crab about all the damage hogs do but will not allow safe, ethical hunters on the land. I have no issue paying a trespass fee or sharing game or whatever rules they want me to abide by but don't complain and do nothing to help. I hunt in IL, PA, WV, and WY pay for my own DIY hunts have for years no problem getting permission to hunt.

Farmer's don't want pig's leaving by one's and two's they want them leaving in mass amount's which is why it's better for farmer's to let or pay people like night vision hunter's (companies not individual's) to come in and remove them by the trailer loads.

So the farmer pays a pro the pro sells slots kills a few more pigs and its a revolving door. Pigs are smart if the farmer allowed regular access to the land high hunt pressure the pigs would either be dead or someone else's problem. Hunting pressure is key.

Back
Top Bottom