• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Pool owners. Pump replacement?

Motor Bearings tend to go bad just from sitting outside in the humidity over the years.
Just put new bearings in the motor and replace the mechanical seal.
Looking at $150 bucks or so
There's like no humidity here and I don't even have a bearing puller tool. The pump is old I'm sure it's on borrowed time anyway.

It’s getting harder and harder to buy/find single speed pumps as they must meet a WEF score (weighted energy factor) in order to be legal. This is due to energy savings and California. Being a 2horse you may have a hard time getting a single speed pump because they don’t really make them anymore. You may find some old stock somewhere but they’re drying up quickly and going up in price. Probably why you’re were quoted so much because the variable speed pumps are well over 2k. Many of the single speed motors that are out now are TEFC and I’ve had clearance issues installing them on Hayward pumps such as tri stars but you can take a sawzall and cut the handle off the pot and get the TEFC motor to bolt up. You also need to pay attention and get the correct service factor. Some pumps are full rated and some are up rated. Basically a bogus marketing term but not all 2 horse motors are the same.

Anyway if you want to repair your pump and find a motor, also pick up a “go-kit” for your pump which will have the shaft seal and o-rings you’ll need to swap the motor in. If you have a salt system, spring for the viton seal. It’s very straight forward to swap a motor. There is a mechanical seal between the motor shaft and the impeller. Be careful and don’t get fingerprint/oil/lube on the carbon or the ceramic bits. The impeller set screw is LH thread, btw.

Depending on what type of pump you have, some of them are very prone to needing more than just a motor especially if you had a shaft seal leak that caused the motor failure, even more so if the pump ran dry causing the shaft seal failure. Some may need an impeller, some may need that plus a seal plate. If the motor just died from old age it’s probably fine to just swap the motor and shaft seal and any o rings that look dried up.
Assuming I can figure out the measurement of the existing plumbing connections should I just get something like this? https://a.co/d/4EWJElt. Or something different?
I'm confused now because there's a 2.2 horsepower sticker on the pump but the motor obviously is not 2.2 horsepower. As you can tell I'm in completely uncharted waters.

Its a 1.5 hp motor.
Check the motor nameplate about 4th line down on left side

Screenshot 2023-10-20 210404.png

I've replaced 2 and 1/2 motors over 18 years. The first two were well under 1k, including install. $3,800 is robbery. The first was a 1 HP, the second a 2 HP (added a cleaner robot). The "1/2" was the last time the motor stopped. We got an estimate from Leslies that almost made me fall out of my chair (forgot the estimate, sorry); but my neighbor with a pool told me to use an independent pool guy. After a quick inspection of the motor with some electronic equipment, and a $75 service call, he suggested it could be a just the capacitor (now referred to as the Flux Capacitor). He unhooked it, told me to go the a used motor expert in Cumming, and for another $150 risk ($75 for the Flux Capacitor and $75 for the reinstall call), I could take my chance on replacement. Still purring like a kitten 6 years later. Call for an independent, local opinion. Other than a tighter schedule starting to close/cover pools, this would be a good time to call...

Thanks. Unfortunately half of that is Greek to me. This is the pump motor that was on there. Century Electric Motor B2983 https://a.co/d/9MEYGDP. I got it unhooked and removed for the pump and the flange (I guess it is) removed from the motor. Like everything it was more of an ordeal than I had assumed. I don't want to mess with trying to repair it as the motor housing looks really rough underneath with rust. I'll just order that new motor unless you know of a better source, but now I need to try to figure out how to find whatever seals should be replaced ...
Post a pic of your pump and I’ll tell you what kind of seal you need. Good chance I can ID the pump by looking at it.

Back
Top Bottom