• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Publix standing rib roast-$6.99 lb

Not dropping, just changed what metrics were used (a little). I'm convinced Kroger is selling Standard as Select. When my dad owned a Piggly Wiggly grocery store in the late 1960's and early 1970's, Select grade was ground for pet food. Most customers would not buy it for human consumption unless they were very poor. Must be why it's so popular now.
Yep...I couldn't find anything about lowering the grading....

Many of the SKUs in the produce department at Kroger and Walmart appear to me to be grades B, C, or even D in some cases. Some of it actually looks rotten when the clerk is stocking the tables/shelves.

This lower grade (not USDA Grade A) produce costs a fraction of Grade A and allows for outrageous margins (you'll rarely read me typing that commie sounding crap) so I expect to see the quality of produce on offer to continue to decline. Most of what I see offered for sale now would have NEVER seen the sales floor when I worked retail in the 80s.

Not dropping, just changed what metrics were used (a little). I'm convinced Kroger is selling Standard as Select. When my dad owned a Piggly Wiggly grocery store in the late 1960's and early 1970's, Select grade was ground for pet food. Most customers would not buy it for human consumption unless they were very poor. Must be why it's so popular now.
I bought meat at Kroger.. once..
Graded choice, don’t think it would have honestly made select. Tough and tasteless.
The rare times I shopped there, looked in the meat counter, passed.
I’ve had good luck with Publix, but not as good down here in the sticks. Suspect they ship the better quality to the higher volume more upscale urban centers.
And Harris-Teeter (Kroger’s more expensive big brother) quality does not impress either.
Tried Winn-Dixie, store is clean, well-lit, and meat counter looks good, I just feel like I need a bath after shopping there.

I went to Kroger yesterday and took a look at their standing rib roasts for $6.97/lb. I was shocked at the lack of marbling. Of course, there was plenty of fat on the edges, but almost zero in the meat. It was graded as "Choice" but I swear it looked like "Select." I passed and will go back to Publix to get another of theirs. The other nitpicky thing about Kroger is their requirement to download their app and "clip" their digital coupon. Otherwise, it's $8.97/lb.

The one my wife bought at Publix was the same.
I told my wife I was hoping Publix was better than Kroger.
I cut a 7.5 pounder into 5 nice steaks, and we ate the first one last night.
It was about the same as Kroger, with little to no marbling.

there is a "range" in the grading, it can't always be the same
If you want the marbling, you need to buy prime.....AND sometimes that's not always as "marbled" as one would like
then, there's always Wagyu....even that's in different grades....complicated

Oh yeah

Attachments

• IMG_0922.jpeg
    IMG_0922.jpeg
    244.5 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_0921.jpeg
    IMG_0921.jpeg
    340.8 KB · Views: 6
I don't ruin my meat with add on stuff....NO mint on lamb for Christ sake....what, in Gods name does mint have to do with lamb anyway???
sorry about that...I just got off on a lamb thing....
My suggestion was to add dill to the horseradish sauce, which is pairing very well with steak, and is served by many steak houses. It will definitely not ruin it.

Back
Top Bottom