• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Publix standing rib roast-$6.99 lb

Kroger routinely sells "Select" grade as "Choice" or Black Angus (a brand really, not a grade of beef). I'm convinced of it.

Haven't bought meat at Kroger in a couple of years. It's disgusting, especially in East Macongo at the North Ave. Kroger.
Yeah, the only meat I buy from there is their $.99/lb pork butts. I'm gonna get some heat here, for this comment, but I'll put Wal Mart's Angus brand up against Kroger meat any day. I buy their Angus Ribeye and they're always heavily marbled, but not enough to be graded "Prime." I will say, though, that Wal Mart's "Prime" Angus, while very, very well marbled doesn't taste any better than their "Choice" Angus.

Kroger routinely sells "Select" grade as "Choice" or Black Angus (a brand really, not a grade of beef). I'm convinced of it.

Haven't bought meat at Kroger in a couple of years. It's disgusting, especially in East Macongo at the North Ave. Kroger.
Black angus is a breed. It has nothing to do with quality. Give me black baldies any day.

What are the grades of beef in order?

There are eight total quality grades: Prime, Choice, Select, Standard, Commercial, Utility, Cutter and Canner. They have been used by the beef industry since 1927. The first three quality grades — Prime, Choice and Select — are the most commonly recognized by consumers and are considered food-grade labels by USDA.

Yeah, the only meat I buy from there is their $.99/lb pork butts. I'm gonna get some heat here, for this comment, but I'll put Wal Mart's Angus brand up against Kroger meat any day. I buy their Angus Ribeye and they're always heavily marbled, but not enough to be graded "Prime." I will say, though, that Wal Mart's "Prime" Angus, while very, very well marbled doesn't taste any better than their "Choice" Angus.
Same as COSTCO in my opinion. Their "Choice" is usually just as good as "Prime" for flavor and tenderness in my experience.

I am just not a fan of Costco meat....it just doesn't(to me) taste as good as others....it's a foiba, I'm sure, however I do not like their "BALDE TENDERIZED" steaks....none of that for me...
if I remember correctly...didn't they lower the grading standards many years back?? 60's???

So I took a 4 pound roast and cut it into two 32 ounce monster steaks. One for the grill, which took 20 minutes just to get to rare, and one vac sealed with butter and herbs for a sous vide later...And no, I didn't eat the whole steak myself. Split it with the wife and dog and still had enough left over for steak and eggs the next morning...

1702835971715.png

I am just not a fan of Costco meat....it just doesn't(to me) taste as good as others....it's a foiba, I'm sure, however I do not like their "BALDE TENDERIZED" steaks....none of that for me...
if I remember correctly...didn't they lower the grading standards many years back?? 60's???
There was a shift in the late 1960's on what metrics were used to determine USDA grades of beef. I've got a copy of that standards document and the changes but I can't put my fingers on it at the moment. It's available online.

Here is a history of beef grading (mostly voluntary from my understanding) in the U.S.

Dual grading and cutability grades were implemented in 1962.

Attachments

• History of Meat Grading in the United States - Meat Science.pdf
    503.3 KB · Views: 3
There was a shift in the late 1960's on what metrics were used to determine USDA grades of beef. I've got a copy of that standards document and the changes but I can't put my fingers on it at the moment. It's available online.
thought I remembered something about that....something like everything dropped a grade....I'll try to look it up

thought I remembered something about that....something like everything dropped a grade....I'll try to look it up
Not dropping, just changed what metrics were used (a little). I'm convinced Kroger is selling Standard as Select. When my dad owned a Piggly Wiggly grocery store in the late 1960's and early 1970's, Select grade was ground for pet food. Most customers would not buy it for human consumption unless they were very poor. Must be why it's so popular now.

Back
Top Bottom