• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Question for fanboys and mall ninjas

I think future generations of gun owners will mostly want the classic good-looking ones over the tactical fantastic plastic.
That’s where the money is, for collectors’ value.

But, if I had a choice between owning a great-grandfather’s safe queen that he saved but rarely used, and the utility-grade rather ugly but practical gun he carried often and shot many rounds thru, I’d choose the one HE used more. I would prize that family history more than dollar value in a Blue book.

I don't consider any gun that was designed less than 20 years ago an heirloom unless it's tied to some historical event. I doubt the Glock will ever reach heirloom status beyond "It was my daddy's gun" and that type of heirloom could be any gun, not matter the value, Glock included.

Heirloom, to me, also means collectibility, and w/ production numbers in the millions, new firearms are just not going to meet that standard.

I like a Glock and some other polymer wonders for a carry gun. It is light and has a good capacity. It is "just a tool", not trying to sound too cliche. It should outlast me by a long time, so yes, it will be passed down without question. So will the AR's and the AK's.

There are other guns that I truly love and will pass them down as well. Mostly classic deer rifles. I also have old revolvers, a couple Henry rifles, shotguns, .22's, etc. You get the picture.

Why would a polymer handgun or a AR not be considered heirlooms? They will be just as viable then as they are now, though probably not nearly as collectible as some. That's no reason to discard them or not pass them down.

I didn't want to ask how old she was, you know how this forum is, but when I was about 7 or 8 daddy let me shoot his Super Redhawk 44 and I haven't shot one since :)
Dang dude, I got some .45 Long Colt ammo for my Vaquero you wouldn’t wanna shoot then. You better be holding on tight with both hands with this stuff, CorBon .45 Colt Magnum +P 300gr flat nose JSP @ 1300 fps. Grizzly bear ammo hoss. Lol!

They don't want to try the old one eyed fat man! (yet)
Lol!

87C05925-D1D6-476F-A41F-22D443050267.jpeg

Dang dude, I got some .45 Long Colt ammo for my Vaquero you wouldn’t wanna shoot then. You better be holding on tight with both hands with this stuff, CorBon .45 Colt Magnum +P 300gr flat nose JSP @ 1300 fps. Grizzly bear ammo hoss. Lol!

Lol!

Totally forgot the Judge that I had, for about 10 minutes, that I shot the 45LC from. Hurt so bad that I listed it the same day... Problem was, tiny grip and huge hands do not make for a pleasant shooting experience.

Heirloom, to me, also means collectibility, and w/ production numbers in the millions, new firearms are just not going to meet that standard.
I agree mostly, but "collectible" is a regional thing sometimes. By 2013 Glock had produced in excess of 9 million models with the manufacturing base to churn out an additional 1 million a year. Lots of Glocks, so not collectible.....unless you happen to live somewhere that Glock doesn't export to. The Norinco 1911 is a prime example. An excellent condition Norinco 1911 with box/docs has recently become somewhat collectible because of the import ban here in the US. In Canada they are still available, imported on a yearly basis and sell for about $400 U.S. dollars, just another cheap 1911 there. The S&W Model 10 is another type of example, produced in the millions, and even the later model 10-6/7 is excellent condition with all the factory stuff is considered somewhat collectible among the S&W revolver fans.

I just bought a late Victory Model S&W in above average condition, matching grips, lanyard ring.

Paid about half the going rate for a custom Glop on ODT.

No kids, but I hope to leave it to someone who understands the history of it. Waiting to see the first Clock with any history, other than that of the 11 generations of perfection that came before.

.I am going to pass ALL of my guns down to my grandchildren. I really doubt that they will look at some of the "Plastic" ones and say,

"eww this is plastic and I don't want it".

I agree mostly, but "collectible" is a regional thing sometimes. By 2013 Glock had produced in excess of 9 million models with the manufacturing base to churn out an additional 1 million a year. Lots of Glocks, so not collectible.....unless you happen to live somewhere that Glock doesn't export to. The Norinco 1911 is a prime example. An excellent condition Norinco 1911 with box/docs has recently become somewhat collectible because of the import ban here in the US. In Canada they are still available, imported on a yearly basis and sell for about $400 U.S. dollars, just another cheap 1911 there. The S&W Model 10 is another type of example, produced in the millions, and even the later model 10-6/7 is excellent condition with all the factory stuff is considered somewhat collectible among the S&W revolver fans.

You happen to know any Canadians, I would like a Norinco 1911 :)

Lots of cherry Model 19 around too for reasonable prices.

Back
Top Bottom