• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Question for fanboys and mall ninjas

I cannot understand it myself, but some Glocks are highly collectible, and anyone who doesn't think so obviously doesn't know what they are talking about. They have cult like collectors who will pay a premium.

Here's an AF prefix Gen 1 17 which closed a couple weeks back on GunBroker.

There were 14 bidders and 66 bids. It closed at $6025.

https://www.gunbroker.com/Item/793398971

How many "heirlooms" do you personally own that would fetch such a price? Perhaps your entire collection?

Heirloom? Like tomatoes?

I have my first deer rifle, a 30-30 Winchester model 94, it was cheap then, still is, but has put down a many of whitetail. Had many of friends with mag rifles, 06’s, whatever the flavor of the year was, my old 30-30 always did the job and never missed a beat. I guess I’ll give it to the kids when I move on from this world. Hell deer hunting bores the hell out of me now, I’d rather go for quail, mostly to see the dogs work.

I regret selling my first Glock 21, that I bought when I turned 21. The same old fart that tried to talk me into an overpriced 1911 and made fun of plastic then is still there, only he wears a bunch of Glock apparel now, and quotes Gunny a bunch. It would have been cool to give to my boys and tell them, the guy that designed this changed and entire industry.

Pops gave me a pretty pristine Colt King Cobra, it’s cool but I rarely shoot it. I guess it’s worth a lot, but I ain’t selling it, so what do I care? Receipt from the store is still in the box for $400 and change I think. Plus I have Grandads Rhom .38, I guess that’s a real keeper!

I’d consider my SCAR a modern classic. I have zero intention of selling it. A fancy shotgun is likely in my near future, I guess the boys may like that. I don’t too much think about it, nor care. I buy what I like and know I can’t take it with me.

Heirloom? Hell, I want to leave them a bunch of wore out guns. If I do my job as a father, they’ll be able to buy their own guns and wear them out too! That’s the way I’d rather have it.

I cannot understand it myself, but some Glocks are highly collectible, and anyone who doesn't think so obviously doesn't know what they are talking about. They have cult like collectors who will pay a premium.

Here's an AF prefix Gen 1 17 which closed a couple weeks back on GunBroker.

There were 14 bidders and 66 bids. It closed at $6025.

https://www.gunbroker.com/Item/793398971

How many "heirlooms" do you personally own that would fetch such a price? Perhaps your entire collection?
How about a Gen 1 19! I saw a thread about one of those rare birds a few years ago and it went for over 6 grand at auction. No telling what it would fetch today. :shocked:

How about a Gen 1 19! I saw a thread about one of those rare birds a few years ago and it went for over 6 grand at auction. No telling what it would fetch today. :shocked:

Yep, it has happened more than once, and now we are seeing it with gen 1 G17's. Prices North of $2k are not the least bit uncommon for the right gen 1 Glocks, and as seen above, much more for some others.

Facts are facts and the market is what it is, and Glock collectors are a serious bunch. It may be silly to some, even to me, but these are real prices that collectors are willing to pay.

Where's those Colt Python fan boys? You have competition.

My point really is that I see guys who think these are only guns worth having because “Reliable” and refer to guns as “perfect tools for the job.” Well a hammer is a perfect tool for driving a nail but I don’t love my hammers.

I'll bet you do love your hammer when you've got a bunch of nails to drive.

I suppose you could just use a silver goblet, since it'll drive nails too, right?

My point really is that I see guys who think these are only guns worth having because “Reliable” and refer to guns as “perfect tools for the job.” Well a hammer is a perfect tool for driving a nail but I don’t love my hammers.
I'll bet you do love your hammer when you've got a bunch of nails to drive.

I suppose you could just use a silver goblet, since it'll drive nails too, right?
:pop2:

im barely under 40...and I have more revolvers than fullysemiautomatic pistols. I think the younger generations like the classics too. and I bet the glocks will last and become collectable. sure, millions made...millions molested with a soldering iron. 30 years from now who is to say how many nice gen 3 19's will be around w/box and docs. kinda like model 10's.

Back
Top Bottom