• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Radon - anyone have experience? Fact/Fiction/Mitigation

When we built a house in Pennsylvania the builder installed a passive system which included perforated 3 inch pipe under the foundation which teed up to solid 3 inch pipe that ran thru the roof. He said that in the area we were building that usually was enough but if a problem developed it was easy to cut the pipe and install a fan.
I only mention this it might be cheaper to just have the piping installed and then test in a while to see if a fan is needed.

Really has nothing to do with humidity. Georgia's geology is the reason for radon beneath homes. Look at all of the granite in the state. Many times uranium/radon is associated with the shallow granite structures in the subsurface. The same reason we have a lot of gold deposits...volcanic intrusions.

Sent from my SM-G781U1 using Tapatalk
And… most builders and concrete subs put down a base of 57stone ( sized granite) before placing concrete. Get my drift….

I’m sitting on a granite rock, with a rock Quarry a few miles away…I’ll be looking a little deeper into this… I’m testing the water also…
EPA (Federal) used to have radon sampling kits available and free analyses. Not sure if that's still available. I can check.

Not sure if that EPA program is still active, but Georgia may have free or discounted radon kits. Here's some info on who to contact for that:

A vented crawl space should allow for accumulated radon gas to migrate outside, however, you are then introducing a possible issue with humidity and mold... whole different discussion.
encapsulation, negative pressure venting, dehumidification, close the vents and seal. I run into so many cabins with crawl spaces wide open and moldy. Talked 2 into encapsulation and what a nice difference

great info,

Back
Top Bottom