• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Rant on high fence hunting

Not really any different is it than fishing a stocked lake or stream? As long as my tax dollars don't go to support it I could care less what the "professional hunter" wants to call his canned hunts. I've just about stopped hunting. This baiting bill that just passed is an embarrassment and a joke to anyone who actually hunts.[/QUOTE

I agreee with both lines of the discussion........Baiting sux and I don't call "pened up game" as hunting. Its just killing.

I don't agree that a stocked lake or stream is the same as pen hunting, unless you're going to run them up in a trap or corner of some sort and then throw your lure at them.

Last edited:
Thanks fellas for the replies. It was something that I've been wanting to bring up. I was new here and didn't want to rock the boat. I figured most of ya'll would see it as I did.
It really bothered me to see these deer that look and act like pets in a "hunting" preserve. Again, to me it is no different than killing a cow for eating. But really, do not call it hunting.
To me hunting is working your ass off to maybe get the chance to see something. Then if you are lucky or good enough, maybe you get the kill. If not, you had a good time alone, with friends or with family in the outdoors.

Might ruffle some feathers here but how much worse is it to have a fence keeping people from killing "your" deer and keeping "your' deer from wandering off than just hunting with a high power rifle to begin with? There are really only 2 major things to consider with a 30-06 on a deer hunt: Will a deer come within range and will I be a good enough aim to hit it if it does? When scoped and zeroed to 200 yards, having put out corn and salt for a month or two to get them all used to finding food where you want the carcasses to drop and hiding in a tree with a perfect view, you have a purty good chance of eventually having one stroll into the kill box. Then all you have to do is aim and shoot. Now THERE'S a sport.

At least with bow hunting you have to actually work for the kill. Although with half the material in bows invented by NASA and a $1000 dollar piece of equipment that has been professionally assembled and tuned it still seems like a bit of an unfair advantage.

I had to give it up. I hunted one season, used up all my tags and realized that I can buy beef a helluva lot cheaper and still get to sleep in. If there was some SPORT to killing deer with a gun, maybe it would be different but sit/wait/shoot is NOT a sport. And you guys that pay $500 and up to join a club so you can use their land PLUS pay big bucks for guns, ammo, cammo, processing(if things go well) and licensing...man y'all GOTTA be rich. Hell, processing alone is so high you may as well buy steak.

Personally, I say if you want to consider yourself a sportsman because the way you hunt is really sporting, get rid of any piece of equipment that has been "engineered" and get either a longbow or a recurve, slap on a pair of simple BDU's and get in the woods and stalk hunt. Don't "pre-bait", go look for them instead of waiting for them to come to you. Bet you won't need ALL your tags that way.

I don't agree that a stocked lake or stream is the same as pen hunting, unless you're going to run them up in a trap or corner of some sort and then throw your lure at them.

That might have been an extreme example but doesn't the impoundment the fish are stocked in serve as the enclosure? Stock a pond or stream because it cannot naturally support the number of fish that are in it and then feed them from a timed feeder and the results seem similar to me. Trapped and fattened up until some one decides they want to harvest one. Just look at Georgia's annual trout harvest as an example.

That might have been an extreme example but doesn't the impoundment the fish are stocked in serve as the enclosure? Stock a pond or stream because it cannot naturally support the number of fish that are in it and then feed them from a timed feeder and the results seem similar to me. Trapped and fattened up until some one decides they want to harvest one. Just look at Georgia's annual trout harvest as an example.

Now that you put it that way, I agree with you. But again, I do not participate in this. That is not fishing. That would just be catching.

Back
Top Bottom