• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Rant on high fence hunting

Wow Lets see Hunting came along out of need for survival............As a child I put out snare's to catch rabbits to feed my family back then we ate alot of rabbit ,squaril, trout,some duck..deer..........death is death its the delivery system that sux......the (why) you gave that particular delivery system is the qwestion...mine shells were hard to get do to being poor, trappers of the day made money selling the pelt and there is alot of good skin around neck and you cut off leggs anyway........yes how do you think I puchased amunition for my rifle!...............Today I hunt for the challenge just as much as the meat......challenge of not being shot by so call sport hunters.....If you are not useing the meat, and you are killing a caged animal I do look down at you!! for that is unethical...

Slipping up on a deer in the woods without the deer's knowledge is very difficult. Even with modern weapons it would be hard to fill all of one's tags.
And I agree, deer meat is right up there with beef tenderloin and lobster tails, but then again it's not about the kill it's all about the hunt. I do like to hear the people talking about deer hunting to feed their families.

I heard it was pretty sporting to shoot one in the eye at 100 yards, in the dark with a 22 rifle. LOL

Might ruffle some feathers here but how much worse is it to have a fence keeping people from killing "your" deer and keeping "your' deer from wandering off than just hunting with a high power rifle to begin with? There are really only 2 major things to consider with a 30-06 on a deer hunt: Will a deer come within range and will I be a good enough aim to hit it if it does? When scoped and zeroed to 200 yards, having put out corn and salt for a month or two to get them all used to finding food where you want the carcasses to drop and hiding in a tree with a perfect view, you have a purty good chance of eventually having one stroll into the kill box. Then all you have to do is aim and shoot. Now THERE'S a sport.

At least with bow hunting you have to actually work for the kill. Although with half the material in bows invented by NASA and a $1000 dollar piece of equipment that has been professionally assembled and tuned it still seems like a bit of an unfair advantage.

I had to give it up. I hunted one season, used up all my tags and realized that I can buy beef a helluva lot cheaper and still get to sleep in. If there was some SPORT to killing deer with a gun, maybe it would be different but sit/wait/shoot is NOT a sport. And you guys that pay $500 and up to join a club so you can use their land PLUS pay big bucks for guns, ammo, cammo, processing(if things go well) and licensing...man y'all GOTTA be rich. Hell, processing alone is so high you may as well buy steak.

Personally, I say if you want to consider yourself a sportsman because the way you hunt is really sporting, get rid of any piece of equipment that has been "engineered" and get either a longbow or a recurve, slap on a pair of simple BDU's and get in the woods and stalk hunt. Don't "pre-bait", go look for them instead of waiting for them to come to you. Bet you won't need ALL your tags that way.

Last edited:
It seems to me that even amongst the ranks of " sportsmen" that there are many who don't understand game management. I don't see anything wrong with a properly run high fence. Yeah there are some who give the whole industry a black eye but with all the"Meat hunters" blasting everything that moves, it can be hard for management minded individuals to balance a healthy herd of animals without them. There are a bunch of landowners and long term club members that bust their humps and spend tons of cash improving habit and selectively harvesting large tracts that see their hard work blown to smithereens by an adjacent lease full of "meat hunters" who put their stands up and down property lines and blast everything that moves and see tagging out as a challenge. Just because itns legal dosent mean it's what's best for the land and it's resources. These are some of the things that lead to high fences. If you have a fence around your place of buisness or home to protect what you've worked for then maybe you oughtaa just give all your stuff to anyone who can see it from the street.
Baiting is another very useful management tool. Are there those who are gonna use it in a fashion many might consider inappropriate? Sure but many management minded individuals will use it as a tool to improve the overall health of the herd by being able to do side by side comparisons of it's members. Also a great training aid when used under supervision for young and inexperienced hunters. Baiting is not a whole lot different than finding a tore up place in the woods and setting up an ambush. Those who don't have the stomach for legal and more often than not ethical hunting yet let mass corporate farms do their killing for em are the ones I'll rant against.
High fences and baiting have their place

Most of the people on here saying its not fair have fished in a pond its the same thing .Just because you hunt a fenced place does not mean your gonna shoot something .Thier are places that are 1000s of acres fenced. You can hunt a 1000 acres for 10 years and wont see all the deer on it. Nowthe ones that have 50 or 60 acres thats different. But with 2000 plus acres not a whole lot different other than you can control genetics a lil.

I dont do it and dont intend on doing it but if you got the money go for it .Alot of people that talk crap about it is due to them being jealous.

Back
Top Bottom