• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Real estate agent firearms training outreach?

shootsacanon

Default rank <3500 posts Supporter
ODT Junkie!
127   0
Reaction score
I'm curious if any of the ranges or firearms trainers ever offer classes to real estate agents. I'm not one, but with the nature of their work (traveling all over, visiting unknown homes & people, etc.), they're definitely a group that should be armed.

With this in the news recently:

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/09/3...-agent-found-at-concrete-company-disappeared/

It seems like a good time to introduce/educate this segment of the population about CCW, firearms safety and training, etc. So is anyone out there marketing to these folks or offering courses specifically for RE agents?

I have regularly had agents in classes for years.
They really enjoy the classroom part where we discuss things you can do to avoid becoming a victim as well as how to recognize predatory/ criminal behavior.

I am currently working w/ 3 regional Realtor Associations to teach them various safety protocols to screen customers, increase situational awareness, & develop a plan to be safe.... or if all else fails, various ways to carry a gun & how to fight with it.

In addition to having ran my school full-time for the previous 5 years I have been a commercial & residential agent myself for the last year (but have been an investor/ developer for 12 years prior to that) .

Being a real estate agent is especially challenging, particularly for women, because so many of the job requirements put them in situations that give someone with criminal intent too many advantages (privacy, close proximity, isolation, etc,) to prey on victims.
I have a special curriculum just for agents to give them several tools to prevent, protect, & defend themselves.

Being a real estate agent is especially challenging, particularly for women, because so many of the job requirements put them in situations that give someone with criminal intent too many advantages (privacy, close proximity, isolation, etc,) to prey on victims.
I have a special curriculum just for agents to give them several tools to prevent, protect, & defend themselves.

Yep, my thoughts exactly. Glad to hear you're working not just with individual agents, but with some of the associations as well, thereby addressing a larger population. I've seen on social media and news some talk of client screening methods, leaving a data/paper trail, etc., but not so much on agents actually arming themselves, which I think is important.

Yep, my thoughts exactly. Glad to hear you're working not just with individual agents, but with some of the associations as well, thereby addressing a larger population. I've seen on social media and news some talk of client screening methods, leaving a data/paper trail, etc., but not so much on agents actually arming themselves, which I think is important.

While they are a critical part of the overall personal defensive safety plan, passive security measures alone are not enough.

Having a gun, a way to carry it, knowledge of the laws on the use of deadly force, & the skill to fight w/ it (in close quarters if necessary) are obviously a very important of a comprehensive plan.

I'm doing private and group instruction for Realtors in Athens and Watkinsville. A number of students are Realtors who had safety concerns due to the nature of their job. They, in turn, put me in contact with the professional organizations up this way and I approached them about group training and professional development workshops. The murder in Arkansas definitely prompted more people in that line of work to contact me over the past two weeks.

It's unfortunate that it generally takes a tragedy for people to think about their safety, but that's human nature. Realtors are in a tough spot because they have to go into unknown territory and meet with complete strangers. Further, warning signs that might keep them out of harms way are at odds with the customer service aspect of their positions. Many people have become so worried about offending people that they would rather force a smile and hope for the best than listen to the inner voice telling them to exit a dangerous situation.

On the bright side, one of the professional organizations in the area already has a regular range day. We're fortunate to live in Georgia. I have a realtor friend in Massachusetts who isn't even allowed to carry pepper spray.

My lady is a agent. That's why I am trying to sell that keltec p11. Trying to get her into something more compact as she wants to carry on her leg.. Dresses.. And what not.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom