• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Recommended "set-up" for AR/ M4 rifles

i was dropping pop up targets at 300 yards (or meters, whatever) with my issued m16a4 with iron sights

Sure it is not very difficult once you have your range and have practiced a little. I love shooting irons, but would prefer an optic because, well, its easier. If that sounds cheesy then feel free to call me Velveeta.

When I was in the Corps, all Marines qualified out to 500yds with an iron-sighted M16A2 and M855 ball ammo. It was 10 rounds for a possible 5 points each.......easiest 50 points of the course. Prone with a loop sling.

Again, training environment and not "real world"......

If you can't do it in the real world you're not a true operator.

Sure it is not very difficult once you have your range and have practiced a little. I love shooting irons, but would prefer an optic because, well, its easier. If that sounds cheesy then feel free to call me Velveeta.
you are now velveeta

i like it

but ya, nothing wrong with optics. and nothing wrong with irons. its what the user wants

Muzzle devices were mentioned above. I think I wrote somewhere in this post that I only use flash suppressors on my M4's set up for non-gaming purposes......which right now are all my M4's.

All the muzzle brakes and comps I've seen put out excessive muzzle flash during lowlight conditions.

The "dual role" devices that combine a FH and a comp or brake are like nearly every other device I've ever used that touts itself as doing 2 jobs at once; it half a$$e$ both of them. Doesn't reduce recoil/muzzle rise as much as a comp/brake and has too much flash for a FH.

Personally, I recommend sticking with a FH for M4's you may use in an environment where folks shoot back, and a brake/comp for stuff where there is a timer running in the background.

I see just about every muzzle device come through my school and the most effective FH's I've seen are (in no particular order) the SEI Vortex, AAC Blackout and Silencero Trifecta. If you aren't gonna run a can, get the Vortex. Works just as well as the other 2 and is much cheaper. The AAC and Silencerco incorporate suppressor attachment with the FH, so get those if you need them.

When my daughter was 10YOA she was ringing steel at 498yds with my DDM4, Aimpoint Micro T1, and M193 ball ammo. Training environment, of course.

On man-size targets in a real world environment, I'd say I'm good to at least 300yds with a good 1x red dot, like the Micro T1/T2. However, my distance vision, according to my yearly physical last summer, is 20/12. If I can get the other guy to stand still long enough, which they usually don't seem to wanna do, I'd stretch that distance quite a bit.

A 2MOA dot is only 6" at 300yds, plenty small enough to put on a torso or upper body.

Agreed... again.

Not no m4 but just picked her up today got my photos,fingerprints and sheriff Donnie Craig's john Hancock for this little girl
ResizedImage_1452466556288.jpg

I have a rifle dynamics part to run a collapsible butt stock or should I try magpuls new side folder any suggestions would be great. Thanks, oh yea first ak of many hopefully ...

Back
Top Bottom