• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Reloading aluminum cases?

wallacem

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
163   0
Reaction score
Never thought about this until today I was separating some 9mm cases and had about 20 aluminum cases in the batch. They look like they have standard primers, can they be reloaded? Wallacem

Interesting!
I haven't really paid a lot of attention to aluminum cases lately but I could swear when they first became popular they had Berdan primers in them?
in any case to me its not worth the efford to even bend over and pick the stuff up much less try to reload it.

I've reloaded a few here and there before realizing they weren't nickel.
I found one in a box I was shooting just the other day and it shot just like every other round.
I wouldn't pick it up to reload it though and I wouldn't load one on purpose.

Even brass gets weary after resizing time and again and it's meant for this purpose, aluminum and steel is certainly not ideal.

You can easily picture steel being harder to resize, I think aluminum is too.
I'd imagine steel would blow out in a case where the brass would have stretched, I wouldn't have much faith in the aluminum either.

SHTF - Load it, otherwise leave it lie.

On another board I am on a guy did it as an experiment . they all lasted through 1 reload , after 5 almost all were split . They can be reloaded . I would not load them hot but for range plinkers they will do .

Back
Top Bottom