• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Reloading woes

When I say what I do, I am not saying "you should". But:

I de-prime my backwards primers on the press, flip ride side up and reinsert for target rounds. It leaves a small dimple but they still fire in the gun. I just do them one at a time with nothing else on the press, primer catcher empty, hands and body parts clear, and safety glasses on. I keep the powder and flammable liquids far away, and make sure that if one goes off it will not result in anything bad happening.

I just push the handle slowly. More than 15 years of reloading, no explosive accidents or incidents.

If you do happen to finish a bullet with the primer in backwards and do not notice it, the primer will fire if hit by a firing pin, but the powder will not ignite. So, I inspect the rounds before loading into the gun.

Thank goodness someone else said they do this.

Yeah I do pretty much the same after a careful discussion with my Dad about 25 years ago. He is a pretty sharp guy, Purdue Engineer grad, former professor, former Navy fire control tech and seasoned reloader. I take some extra safety measures so as to not set off more than one primer if one ever did blow and always wear eye protection. I haven't had one go off yet (25 years) but if one understands just what type of force causes them to go off then one can understand why they don't detonate when you seat them in the first place.

Someone will come along to tell us just how fool hardy we are and what risk we incur while seating thousands of primers unaware of the type of force required to detonate them until the firing pin strike....

I've had the upside down or side ways primer a time of two. Like 1006 I use the press to remove carefully. Then if its not too messed up use as target load. By the way I only use the single stage press to seat primers. I can give it the attention it deserves and I just like to. Anyone who needs a hand primer tool can offer me something for it I never use it or never will.

Fool! :becky:

Just kidding but know there will be some who won't be...

Last edited:
Why fool?? I know the risks of my actions and plan accordingly to ensure the safest method. If a detonation occurs during priming process all other materials are not exposed at that stage of the process. My routine is very tedious. But I enjoy the entire process.

Why fool?? I know the risks of my actions and plan accordingly to ensure the safest method. If a detonation occurs during priming process all other materials are not exposed at that stage of the process. My routine is very tedious. But I enjoy the entire process.

Just kidding. I do it too for about 25 years now.

i have loaded 3000+ 45acp on my dillon 550 and i messed up maybe 2 rounds. both my fault when i first learned the set up.are you sure the brass has the same primer size? 45acp comes in large and small primer sizes!

Back
Top Bottom