• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Required Classes

I think mandatory training is a slippery slope, and a good way for "the authorities" to cut back on gun carry rights even without passing new laws. Just tighten the administrative regulations and standards for the test.

THAT BEING SAID, if I were sure that a "mandatory test" for a carry permit would never be abused, I'd support a pretty comprehensive test to issue a carry permit.

The permit should have three components:

1.) Basic gun safety. Classroom stuff. Watch videos, read some material, then take a test.

2.) Gun laws of your state, and "deadly force" standards for your state. Again, this would be classroom-only, and it could be online, if it were done in a way that applicants couldn't easily cheat.

3.) Range day: Actual hands-on demonstration of the safe and effective operation of whatever handgun you bring to the range.
If you don't currently own a handgun and can't borrow one, the range where such tests are held can rent you a suitable one, and the instructor or range staff can show you how it operates (things specific to that model; not gun safety in general).

I would not have ANY minimum accuracy qualifications. Instead, the goal would be to let each student demonstrate his or own level of skill, and the instructor would then shoot a demonstration of good marksmanship to show the less-skilled students what they can hope to achieve with more coaching, more practice. But at least the range day will let the new gun permit holders where their skills are at the present time, so they will not think that they're gun experts like all their TV and movie heroes.

And if some of the gun carry permit applicants are already expert marksmen and women, having no need to learn anything in the class, fine. They can also serve as role models for the less-skilled, less-experienced shooters on the firing line that day.

I have never met a gun owner who just bought a gun without being taught how to use one before.

:rofl:

As I may be working in Texas for the next 12 months I read up on the permit, it also includes classroom time, Laws that relate to weapons and the use of deadly force, Handgun use and safety, Non-violent dispute resolution, Proper storage practices for handguns with an emphasis on storage practices that eliminate the possibility of accidental injury to a child.

Not bad things in themselves, on balance I'm against mandatory training, but, frankly, some people are just plain dangerous without something like this.

:rofl:

As I may be working in Texas for the next 12 months I read up on the permit, it also includes classroom time, Laws that relate to weapons and the use of deadly force, Handgun use and safety, Non-violent dispute resolution, Proper storage practices for handguns with an emphasis on storage practices that eliminate the possibility of accidental injury to a child.

Not bad things in themselves, on balance I'm against mandatory training, but, frankly, some people are just plain dangerous without something like this.
I work in TX several months a year, if you have a GA CCP it doesn't matter anyways, it reciprocates to TX...

These are the classic anti 2a talking point but they are very flawed and easily debunked. You do not have a "right" to operate a vehicle on public roads. Where do people get that idea? I don't know why people constantly recite this as a justification for requiring a license to carry a firearm... As for your other point - you do have a right to an attorney but you do not HAVE to pay for one. If you want a better one you are free to pay as much as you like.
Interesting, though people had the right to use public roads. Learn something every day. Sure wish they'd stop taxing me for stuff I can't use.
Courts today require a lawyer unless you think your law experience can keep you out of jail.
Be fun to see a normal guy go against a trial lawyer in murder case. Most people probably wouldn't stand a chance.

on subject, I've taken hunter safety and boating classes in my younger years.

I think mandatory training is a slippery slope, and a good way for "the authorities" to cut back on gun carry rights even without passing new laws. Just tighten the administrative regulations and standards for the test.

THAT BEING SAID, if I were sure that a "mandatory test" for a carry permit would never be abused, I'd support a pretty comprehensive test to issue a carry permit.

The permit should have three components:

1.) Basic gun safety. Classroom stuff. Watch videos, read some material, then take a test.

2.) Gun laws of your state, and "deadly force" standards for your state. Again, this would be classroom-only, and it could be online, if it were done in a way that applicants couldn't easily cheat.

3.) Range day: Actual hands-on demonstration of the safe and effective operation of whatever handgun you bring to the range.
If you don't currently own a handgun and can't borrow one, the range where such tests are held can rent you a suitable one, and the instructor or range staff can show you how it operates (things specific to that model; not gun safety in general).

I would not have ANY minimum accuracy qualifications. Instead, the goal would be to let each student demonstrate his or own level of skill, and the instructor would then shoot a demonstration of good marksmanship to show the less-skilled students what they can hope to achieve with more coaching, more practice. But at least the range day will let the new gun permit holders where their skills are at the present time, so they will not think that they're gun experts like all their TV and movie heroes.

And if some of the gun carry permit applicants are already expert marksmen and women, having no need to learn anything in the class, fine. They can also serve as role models for the less-skilled, less-experienced shooters on the firing line that day.
It's just one more way for people who don't have to worry about protecting themselves deciding weather you have that right or not. Very slippery slope.

Plenty of things are a "right" only when you prove to the satisfaction of other people (through their agents, the government's officers) that you have done it right or are on track to doing it the right way.

Want to go into business as a home builder? Pass a test on your knowledge of building and repairing homes. Then get insurance. Then get a business license from your County and a Contractor's license from the State. Then you can engage in your new profession.

Want to educate your kids at home, or send them to a church instead of school? You need to prove that you can give the kid a proper education, and any school needs to be accredited.

Want to build your own home and live in it?
The County demands you get a Certificate of Occupancy to prove the house is safe to occupy.

TN requires a class before you get your "permit". You pay for the class, in addition to paying for your permit. My permit was $68 due to my age (40) and the time of year I bought it. They use a sliding scale for renewal and fees paid thereby. The cost is less to renew than when the initial purchase is paid. When I lived in Houston county it was the same price no matter what.

I was exempted from the class because I showed my range quall card for AF and DOD civilian pistol range time. I have heard from several different folks the class leaves a lot to be desired and some bad intel was getting out in some of the classes.

I too would prefer to see folks competent with their gear. Is a class required? That is a prickly subject. I think training with any piece of equipment that can have life altering results, is a great idea. I have seen far too many folks carrying guns that 1. have never even shot the gun they are carrying, or 2. If they have shot it they put a couple rounds through it to gauge and evaluate recoil and shot placement before stowing in their carry rig, as to not waste "expensive" ammo, 3. Bought a combination of gun and ammo due to recommendations of gun store "experts" and are now afraid to use the gun due to unfamiliarity with equipment, but are still carrying it.....

State required tests make people feel all warm and fuzzy, but at the end of the day, the folks who mainly benefit from them are the licensed instructors charging for the classes and test administration. Great for small business, not awesome for the consumer.

In reading the one you posted, I don't understand the logic of mandating a .32 minimum when the law allows for any caliber of carry. I also believe that a 30 round course should be adequate, as opposed to a 50 round course.

... Requiring training (although it may be prudent) is an infringement to your second amendment right. All of that being said...if I could attend a training class and it would give me the ability to legally carry a weapon in concealment in all states...I'M IN!!!!

^^^^ This...

What troubles me though, is in this day and age requiring a photo ID to vote for our elected officials is "unfair burden" but all the hoops we have to jump through to exercise our constitutional rights is comical.

Back
Top Bottom