• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Required Classes

No.

Mandatory classes are not the answer. But course info handed out when the CWL is handed out is a great idea. Most citizens would be happy to take a course... it simply should not be required.

The states that require training do not provide it. You must pay a certified school to take their state approved class.

My dad charges 200 dollars for his class. 12 hours classroom, 4 hours range. You provide your own gun and ammo or he can rent you a gun and sell you ammo.

I'm 2006 it cost my wife and I 1000 dollars to both get our NM carry permits. Ridiculous.

Give an inch and they will not stop, never. That's why it was written as the right NOT TO BE INFRINGED as they knew what would occur once they convinced the public they could. "Public safety" has been the consistent bleat.

Mandate training, sure in K12 schools and offered in college with high school and college student with hands on training.

For adults wanting to exercise that most despised right, NEVER MANDATED, promoted, subsidized and encouraged, never mandated.

Now go buy that select fire machine gun you have a "right" to possess.

no idea why it's .32. Maybe something to do with feeding issues and recoil control. I've had less issues with 9mm than 25acp.
Supposedly it's mandatory to have a carry permit if your going to carry concealed. At least that's my understanding. Just as mandatory to take a driving test before you hit i75 alone. As the above poster said, almost everything is ruled by the government.

no idea why it's .32. Maybe something to do with feeding issues and recoil control. I've had less issues with 9mm than 25acp.
Supposedly it's mandatory to have a carry permit if your going to carry concealed. At least that's my understanding. Just as mandatory to take a driving test before you hit i75 alone. As the above poster said, almost everything is ruled by the government.

It's called "control". They can make any claim they who dictate the measure of the "right" want but most effective is the need for "public safety".

Once the precedent has been established we are doomed to follow it. Gun licensing and registration pushed as public safety and crime control never is and the historic significance is blatantly clear for those aware of it's eventual intent.

With each measure of "regulation" imposed an honest "right" ceases to be one.

On the other hand, New York State has got to be the most anti-gun, anti-carry state in the country.
And they've had a mandatory gun safety class and handling test (live, in person, with an instructor) for years.
Now, it's not a SHOOTING / MARKSMANSHIP test, because you can't legally handle a handgun in NY until AFTER you get your permit.
Permit applicants are forbidden from even taking a few shots with somebody else's registered handgun at a gun club or range.

But the New York State law mandates safety training and either shooting a pellet pistol or just handling a replica gun, BB / Pellet gun, AirSoft gun, or dummy gun that doesn't fire anything.

I did it, and it was easy to find a qualified instructor (any NRA firearms safety instructor can qualify under NY law), and it wasn't expensive (since you don't have to go to a shooting range, all the training can happen in a classroom at the instructor's home or office).

NY has had that law in place for at least 25 years, and as far as I know they've never attempted to make the test any stricter, any more expensive, and have never used "mandatory training" as an avenue to tighter gun control.

If the gun haters in NYS want tighter gun control, they'll just pass a law through the legislature and make it official. No need to try to "sneak it in" through burdensome training intended to chill the exercise of gun rights.

"You have a right to a lawyer yet, you have to pay for that"

LOL! What country are you writing from??

Ever been to an American Court of Law? The State pays for legal representation for those who can't pay, which is 99% of those standing before the judge in criminal court.

Yep. I have to renew in 2018. I hate the process of getting fingerprinted and all. It makes me feel like a criminal.

I have to renew this month, if I renew. It is bull ****.

I will never agree that a required class be taken to exercise our 2nd amendment rights. Never.

Interesting that we pay for a carry permit. You have a right to a lawyer yet, you have to pay for that. You have a right to drive on roads paid by taxes but, you need to pay for a license. Im getting off the subject....

Ive seen plenty of people at the gun counter that have no clue how to operate a firearm. Half come up with no idea what they want and let the guy across the counter talk them into what they like. I would rather that person have some form of familiarization if they plan on carrying that in a mall. We have driving tests since a car is a lethal weapon in the wrong hands. Why not school people on how to protect themselves and others?

No, you don't have to pay for a lawyer...And you have a right to a lawyer, which means you also have a right to refuse counsel. Or act as your own defense.
We have a constitutionally protected right to drive on the roads? I wasn't aware of that.

Back
Top Bottom