• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

resolve an argument for me

If inherited, then it is yours. If it is in the same state you live in, then just take it home. If it is out of state, then it must go through an FFL. I have been told, and seen proof, that if you are specifically named in the will, and it says exactly what firearm you are to inherit, then it is safe to carry home also.

If it is bought as a bulk lot, such as a storage unit, then it becomes yours, assuming you are legal to own. The problem here is it is not really a FTF transaction. Most of the time you can verify the person you are buying from is legal to own and sell. In this case, you are not sure, assuming you do not know who owned the storage unit.

If I bought one, and found a firearm inside, I would contact a friend at the Sheriffs Office and explain the situation. Let them run the numbers and see what it comes back as. If it is clear, then you are good to go. If it has a problem, then you need to do some explaining, prove you bought the whole unit, sight unseen, and hopefully they will take the pistol, and no more problems for you.

Did this happen, or just thinking out loud??

Jerry

The problem here is it is not really a FTF transaction. Most of the time you can verify the person you are buying from is legal to own and sell. In this case, you are not sure, assuming you do not know who owned the storage unit.

Jerry

if you are buying a storage unit contents, the owner is the storage facility. they have taken legal possession by default from whomever put it in there to begin with.

if you are buying a storage unit contents, the owner is the storage facility. they have taken legal possession by default from whomever put it in there to begin with.

Yep, I agree with that. I bet though, that if you told the storage owner, after a quick inventory, that you found a firearm and you wanted him to verify it was not stolen or had a "questionable" background to it, well...you can imagine what they might say.

I suppose he could say that he owns the property, and that he is eligible to buy and sell a firearm, and that would be OK. I still would be concerned though.

When we buy and sell from each other, we have a pretty good idea about the moral character and background of each other. In this case, we know nothing about the owner of the facility or the original owner of the firearm.

Technically you are right, but this might be the one time that I would go have it checked out. Something I have never done before, by the way.

Jerry

Back
Top Bottom