• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Revolver EDC opinions

The odds were of needing a gun where most of us live and work? The odds of needing more bullets? Walter Mitty anyone?

Better to have it and not need it then to need it and not have it.

When the off-duty LEO stopped the active shooter in the mall in Clackamas, OR several years ago, it took every round he had in his gun (it was a 1911). I watched an interview with him where he described how he felt, sitting there with an empty gun, waiting to see if a second active shooter was going to fire up. Not a good feeling. I’ve heard a lot of survivor stories where guys complained about not having enough ammo.......never heard anyone complain about having too much.

The only times you can have too much ammo is when you’re drowning or you’re on fire.

Speed strips are easiest to conceal. Safariland Comp 1’s are the next best option but you’ll need to either replace the grips or modify the stock grips to accept speedloaders. The HKS will work with the stock grips but you’ll need to sort of approach the cylinder at and angle and then line up to release the cartridges.

The best thing to do is to get the idea of a speedy, emergency reload on a J frame out of your head. Think of it as an administrative action to recharge the fired cylinders. If you really think you might need a speed reload, carry a second gun, or carry one with more capacity, or all of the above. ;)

The odds were of needing a gun where most of us live and work? The odds of needing more bullets? Walter Mitty anyone?

I have been in Law Enforcement for over twenty years. I don't even go out to cut my grass without a gun anymore. I usually carry a Shield IWB with me everywhere and with that goes an extra magazine. I have been in uniform for over twenty years so I am wearing a gun belt every day I am working and it is wearing on me.. I am just looking to lighten the load when I am off duty. The S&W will slide in my pocket in a sticky holster but I don't feel comfortable carrying it without a reload. I don't think pocket carry is ideal by any means but better than not carrying at all. I may get a pancake style holster that rides high for good concealment and as light as it is I don't think I would notice it as much. That being said I have never carried a revolver as a back up or off duty gun.

Not realistic to expect rapid, combat reloads with those guns.

If you want to carry spare ammo, an SKS stripper clip holds 10 rounds of 38 or 357. Rattle free, secure and nice and flat.

I used to shoot revolver matches and used the Safari land speedloaders, and it's amazing how many rounds you can get down range in a few seconds with some training. But that's with the speedloaders in holders on your pistol belt right under your hand - not a practical situation for causal attire.

Out and about, I use the speed strips. If I need to speed load out and about, I have already FUBARed. I bought a speedloader for my 5 shot J frame, and it's just not practical in any sort of real life situation. I had a LEO instructor show me one secret which is to load two at a time from the speed strip. Think about speed strips is that they are cheap and you can keep a couple stashed out of the way here and there.

The other thing about speedloaders, is that every now and again, especially if you are carrying them in your pocket, they are going to dump their rounds Usually not a problem -except that one time.

Speed loaders are a bit more bulky, but have never been a problem for me. With practice reloads are pretty fast. One benefit of revolvers is you can simply throw a few extra rounds in your pocket.

Have that Roscoe cut for moon clips and practice your reloads. My 12 year old can reload in about 1 second.
593794d79526d826626d6187311675b8.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom