• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

RMR/DELTAPOINT should probably be on your self defense pistol

SD situations occur in such close distances usually point shooting is the way it goes down, so no laser/RMR/dots will change/help that out. So, practice brandishing your edc at 10 & less yards, and point shoot till you are in the COM with your first shots. If you gotta be a pistol sniper and make headshots at 25 yards, then by all means, strap a big heavy sight on yer pistol, hire a caravan to tote it and get er done however you see fit.

They fail all the time in competitions... I can't say all brands fail, but various ones fail pretty much every week at the bowling pin shoots. And if you don't practice with it, a lot, it's not faster anyway. As soon as you lose the dot, unless you have your body index under control, you really slow down. We've finally got a few people who demonstrate faster times with the red dots, but most do not. Myself included, though I never spent a lot of time with the RDS.

If I have the index under control, I don't need the dot... and if I don't, the dot is a hindrance. My opinion.

To quote one of the above: "An Rmr will make a good shooter better but it won't turn average to JM.". Agreed, 100%.

Scott "Jedi" Jedlinski and his Modern Samurai Project is someone else I would look into for info on pistol RDS. You can find some of his stuff on YouTube as well as a wealth of knowledge on the Primary&Secondary YouTube channel and forum.

It might be worth considering buying another handgun that is exactly like what you currently use and have that as your RDS gun to train with until you can work out all the kinks. I only suggest this because it is what I currently plan on doing not because I am some pistol RDS expert.

I've had a couple newer shooters attend my competition pistol classes with red dot sights. Their #1 problem is inability to find the dot after a wide transition, movement with the pistol, or when shooting from an awkward position. There's an awkward pause while the student moves the pistol around, looking for the dot. This is due to not having developed a subconscious index with the pistol.

There's a lot to like about red dots, but there's also more work required to get to a base level of proficiency. You need to develop the necessary index for the dot to always magically appear when the pistol is extended.

Back
Top Bottom