• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Ruger Precision Rimfire Rifle

I see the front of the picatinney rail is right over the chamber. If it is aluminum that could be giving off the ping. Just a wild guess but seems rational. If they make steel rings I would try them. Worth a shot for very little money. Did you notice it get muffled after the scope was attached. A easy test is take the scope off and shoot it. If it gets louder then there is the culprit. It should go right back to zero since it's rail.

Makes same noise witch scope or no scope. Shooting a round or dry firing.
From the limited research I did it was something about excess slack in a firing pin spring or something.
There was some kind of fix i saw somewhere online to take the bolt apart and put a plastic washer in. I was having trouble getting the bolt apart, got distracted, and haven't got back to it.
I'm sure when spring rolls around and ill be motivated to attack it again.

Sometimes finding a flaw in a gun is like finding a rattle in a truck. It can be literally anything. A firing pin making that much racket I wouldn't have expected that and sounds weird. If it fixes it then that's great. I have noticed with some handguard that when you dry fire it and let the bolt slam shut it makes a ping noise. It's only on some. You can't hear it when it fires obviously. I just though maybe it was something external, hoping rather, so you wouldn't have to go into the gun. You seem to have a handle on it so that's a good thing.

I messed with this gun over the weekend. I have been accused of being a Ruger hater before which is not actually the case, but I didn't like the smoothness or lack thereof of the bolt operation at all. Very sticky/jerky/sloppy. Maybe CZ has spoiled me but just a buy a 455 and drop it in a Mcree or Manners if you want a rimfire trainer.

I messed with this gun over the weekend. I have been accused of being a Ruger hater before which is not actually the case, but I didn't like the smoothness or lack thereof of the bolt operation at all. Very sticky/jerky/sloppy. Maybe CZ has spoiled me but just a buy a 455 and drop it in a Mcree or Manners if you want a rimfire trainer.
Then you are talking well over a grand. Nothing wrong with that, but many folks don't have the money to do that, and the lack of money keeps them away from the sport. Sure, a $400 rifle will have its downfalls, but if it gets folks shooting these 22 matches, all for it. And if going that direction, I'd be throwing MPA and KRG 455 chassis' into the equation as well (I looked hard at dropping my 455 into the MPA).

Back to the rifle and your experience. The sticky/jerky/sloppy feel, was that to due with being new? Something that may work itself out, or a true design flaw? That was the case with and RPR, as well as a CZ455 I had, but as you shot and broke it in, things became smooth. Just curious. I'd like to see some actual reviews out there instead of a bunch of online journalists spouting off the same thing. Also, how was the accuracy? What kind of ammo?

Then you are talking well over a grand. Nothing wrong with that, but many folks don't have the money to do that, and the lack of money keeps them away from the sport. Sure, a $400 rifle will have its downfalls, but if it gets folks shooting these 22 matches, all for it. And if going that direction, I'd be throwing MPA and KRG 455 chassis' into the equation as well (I looked hard at dropping my 455 into the MPA).

Back to the rifle and your experience. The sticky/jerky/sloppy feel, was that to due with being new? Something that may work itself out, or a true design flaw? That was the case with and RPR, as well as a CZ455 I had, but as you shot and broke it in, things became smooth. Just curious. I'd like to see some actual reviews out there instead of a bunch of online journalists spouting off the same thing. Also, how was the accuracy? What kind of ammo?

I have mine in the McRee, MPA's are sweet though, I would have no issue running either one. The feel of the action absolutely could have been because it was new with the Ruger.

Your experience with the CZ was very different mine when new, mine was buttery smooth and still to this day is one of the smoothest actions on a rimfire I have experienced while actually chambering a round.

I did not shoot the Ruger, just picked it up, ran the bolt a few times, and fondled it. When you hold something and mess with it, it either speaks to you or it doesn't. Actually a better way to word that is it either meets or exceeds expectations or disappoints. For me, it disappointed.

I don't get hung up on costs and have guns in the safe that are under $250 dollars and some well over 10x that cost. Some people may love the gun, kind of like the way I love a lot of Savages that other people would turn their nose up at. YMMV

I have mine in the McRee, MPA's are sweet though, I would have no issue running either one. The feel of the action absolutely could have been because it was new with the Ruger.

Your experience with the CZ was very different mine when new, mine was buttery smooth and still to this day is one of the smoothest actions on a rimfire I have experienced while actually chambering a round.

I did not shoot the Ruger, just picked it up, ran the bolt a few times, and fondled it. When you hold something and mess with it, it either speaks to you or it doesn't. Actually a better way to word that is it either meets or exceeds expectations or disappoints. For me, it disappointed.

I don't get hung up on costs and have guns in the safe that are under $250 dollars and some well over 10x that cost. Some people may love the gun, kind of like the way I love a lot of Savages that other people would turn their nose up at. YMMV
Where did you fondle it?

Back
Top Bottom