• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Running cows on my land....Avice

My father-in-law leases his 150 acres to a friend who runs cows and cuts hay. Lessee also maintains fences. The lease fee is the annual property tax. Check into the agricultural easement. Property taxes are less if you keep land in agricultural use.

We have folks leasing 300 acres for cows. They handle the fences, fertilizer, hay, and road maintenance. Bill is twice the property tax. Tract is in an Agricultural Trust with the state of GA.

What about goats? Someone told me goat cheese is a lucrative business so maybe someone has the animals but no land?

Goats are big right now. They will eat crap cows won't touch, and the meat is very popular with Hispanics (seriously).

Biggest problem is that you need a darn good fence to keep them.

I'm guessing the TN has county agents, or some equivalent. That would be my first source of information. Too many variables for an internet appraisal.

i would have some kind of written agreement, which among other things makes him responsible for fence repair, and some sort of indemnity clause or insurance provision. If the cows get out, and a car hits them, the damaged person is going to be looking to you for damages, and trust me, this is not a hypothetical situation.

Back
Top Bottom