• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Safe queens

The only thing I own that stays in the safe and doesn't get shot is a Browning / FN Model 1922. My grandfather brought it back from WWII with a German holster & extra magazine. It's got all the German proof marks too.

I didn't even know he owned it until several years after he passed. My grandmother gave it to me one day when she ran across it on a shelf in her closet. That pistol and my Grandfather's Bronze medal are among my most prized possessions.

colt.jpg

Here is my one and only queen. A Colt SAA from the Winchester/Colt commemoratives sold in the mid 80's. This one is unturned and only handled wearing gloves.

I don't know if I can call these my safe queens as they rarely make it into the safe I enjoy looking at them to much so they just hang around my display box. I don't shoot them often but I do shoot them all. I guess they just have a special place in my heart as they are part of history and they are my war heroes.
photo.jpg
1919 Colt commercial
1930 Mauser c96
1918 colt US property marked and served in all World Wars.
1943 Enfield US property marked.
1943 M1 Garand served in wwII and likely also Korea.

image.jpg
My safe queen is nothing expensive, or collectible but holds a higher value to me that almost all the others.

Albert Dunn was a bailiff at the Whitfield County courthouse for generations, and proudly served the people of Whitfield county. I spent many a summer stopping by and seeing Mr. Dunn growing up, he and his wife had never had children and they always welcomed me. Prior to God calling Mr. Dunn home he told me he wanted me to have his bailiffs badge, plaques, etc. and his old single shot 12 ga. After his death I lovingly cleaned and oiled it, and to this day it has silently sat in my gun safe just as it sat behind his bedroom door.

The 94 Winchester on top was my Grandfathers. It is the gun that my Father and my Uncle learned to shoot with, and used hunting many seasons in Vermont when they were growing up. It was made in 1914 and is chambered in .38-55.

I stupidly traded off the unfired 1968 Buffalo Bill Commemorative Edition 94 Winchester on bottom, but it didn't have any sentimental value. Grandpa's rifle isn't going anywhere though, it will be passed down to my kids one day.

i606.photobucket.com_albums_tt141_2001SportTJ_7c81313b.jpg

Back
Top Bottom