• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Sandy Springs gun club shooting

I know that busting balls is an Olympic sport around here, but I think - with some context - I could see why dude had an issue. Imagine if you were shooting groups and it's just you and one other person on the range. Concentrated, intermittent fire of two shooters. You might be habituated to a shot every maybe 10-15 seconds? So you're in the optic, focused on a shot when all of a sudden Magdump McGee goes ham in lane 7.

It's possible you didn't see him because you were in the optic and the dividing walls obscured your peripheral vision. It's further possible you didn't hear him enter because of your earpro. I know we're all super secret squirrel quiet professionals...but sometimes the rest of us can get spooked every now and then. I don't know that I would have complained to management, but I absolutely can see getting a flinch or a jump scare in that scenario.
I like those scenarios, it helps me work on concentration and focus in a less than sterile environment.
What I don’t like is some RO shutting someone down because they did a mag dump. And yes. I’ve been cautioned about more than one round in 3 seconds. ’Cause a real like firefight would be like a Bullseye match, right?

Not suggesting a "dumbass", but probably lax and unattentive.

A few weeks ago I was there zeroing a scope on the 35 yard range, just me and one other shooter occupying the first and last booths on the 5 booth lanes. We were both settled down and doing our thing when all of a sudden some store assistant came in, went to the center booth and fired 4-5 fast shots of what sounded like 300 blackout. I almost crapped my drawers as I never even saw the shooter come into the range.

I mentioned this the the desk guy when I was leaving and pointed out that I didn't want anyone to get into trouble but they may want to review procedures with their staff as this sort of behavior could cause a nervous range user to have an accident. The desk clerk said that the store manager had walked behind me when I was telling him about the incident so he heard what I was saying. The store manager however didn't acknowledge my complaint or even offer me an apology and assurance that he would take the matter up with his staff. At the time (mid-day, mid week) the range was almost empty of shooters (from now on there will be one less). There were at least 4-5 staff in the store.

This recent accidental shooting was not any direct fault of the store or management, but it's hard to see this business surviving if they don't get their act together.
So, you feel they need to inform you if another shooter come's in ?????? and said shooter is to inform you of a string of rapid shooting ????

What I don’t like is some RO shutting someone down because they did a mag dump. And yes. I’ve been cautioned about more than one round in 3 seconds. ’Cause a real like firefight would be like a Bullseye match, right?
Unfortunately, RO's are a necessary evil...until the collective IQ of mankind increases dramatically.

I will never understand the carelessness of a ND in a non self defense or non combat condition (highly chaotic and adrenaline charged situations). AD’s happen very rarely. I corrected my neighbor the first time I met him and asked about his wonky fingers when he shook my hand…said he had an AD cleaning his gun. I told him those are called negligent discharges, not accidental. He had to agree but that story told me everything I needed to know about him.

A friend’s cousin shot himself trying to “catch” the gun he dropped at the range. That’s arguably an accidental discharge because I think it’s instinctive to reach for a dropped object. One could argue it was still negligent because it was knocked off the table to begin with…either way, his finger caught the trigger and his bad luck or poor choices ended right there and he won’t hear the debate. Sad either way.

Unfortunately, RO's are a necessary evil...until the collective IQ of mankind increases dramatically.
?????? if someone rents a lane at a range ; if he can keep rounds in "target" should not matter how fast he shoots !! RO responsibility to see if personnel and property stay safe from said firearm handling and use.
timed shots are for non-proficient shooters.

?????? if someone rents a lane at a range ; if he can keep rounds in "target" should not matter how fast he shoots !! RO responsibility to see if personnel and property stay safe from said firearm handling and use.
timed shots are for non-proficient shooters.
Sadly, not everyone is an "operator".

If there are other people on the range shooting they could be someone's wife, son or daughter learning the basics of using a handgun. We need to encourage these folks and not be the inconsiderate big shots like those I have seen that just bring out the .44 Mag. or do mag. dumps just to see others flinch. We want them to embrace the 2nd. Amendment not push it away.

Back
Top Bottom