• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

SBR and Pistol. Is it the only smart way to go for 300blk?

took my one deer this year with a SBR 300 8" barrel using Barnes TSX. the shot i took was under 40 yards and the doe ran about 50 yards before expiring.

i think next year that i will probably go back to a 16" 6.8 because it seems to be a more humane way to harvest. they rarely make it past 10 yards with that caliber.

the 300 sbr did its job at close range but i'm not 100% convinced that its the best setup.

I have seen deer run 50 yds with a perfect heart shot...so I wouldn't judge a gun/caliber based on that result.

could you elaborate a little more? I'm just curious as i've never heard someone with experience say that. Plus the new bullets that are coming out for running subsonic are LEGIT and it's hard to argue with the supersonic performance of the 6.8 in a 110 accubond. best of both worlds.

To me, the 6.8 is the .40S&W of the handgun world, with 9mm being 5.56/.223 and .45ACP being 7.62x51/.308.

It doesn't do anything significantly better than 5.56 to merit the addition expense and if you're going to go up in caliber, why not just go ahead and go thirty caliber?

took my one deer this year with a SBR 300 8" barrel using Barnes TSX. the shot i took was under 40 yards and the doe ran about 50 yards before expiring.

i think next year that i will probably go back to a 16" 6.8 because it seems to be a more humane way to harvest. they rarely make it past 10 yards with that caliber.

the 300 sbr did its job at close range but i'm not 100% convinced that its the best setup.

Or 12" 6.8 upper FTW.

And the benefits to 6.8 are that you can use your existing 5.56 lower with the change of a mag and still keep a light and strong hunting rig. I'll hunt deer all day long with a 12" 5.56, but when hunting and trying to hit multiple running pigs at night, I'd rather have the little extra oomph of the 6.8.

To me, the 6.8 is the .40S&W of the handgun world, with 9mm being 5.56/.223 and .45ACP being 7.62x51/.308.

It doesn't do anything significantly better than 5.56 to merit the addition expense and if you're going to go up in caliber, why not just go ahead and go thirty caliber?

so you can stick to ar15 platform, run a shorter barrel (6.8 was developed to be most efficient with 16 inch barrel but runs well on SBR platforms as well) and the 6.8 outperforms with 300 blk in supersonic and almost as good in sub. Again, best of both worlds for those wanting to suppress and have a light, compact package.

The 6.8SPC fills a small gap in between the 5.56 and the .308. I've just got no use for it. I ain't sayin' it ain't a good cartridge, it is, but I don't have any use for it. I can name over 20 other calibers that are excellent, but I don't own those either.

For whatever reason, I have a dislike of the 6.8SPC. Can't explain it. I also hate the .270 Winchester and .25-06, and have a mild dislike of the 7mm Remington Magnum.

The 6.8SPC fills a small gap in between the 5.56 and the .308. I've just got no use for it. I ain't sayin' it ain't a good cartridge, it is, but I don't have any use for it. I can name over 20 other calibers that are excellent, but I don't own those either.

For whatever reason, I have a dislike of the 6.8SPC. Can't explain it. I also hate the .270 Winchester and .25-06, and have a mild dislike of the 7mm Remington Magnum.

Funny. I have a dislike for 300 and .270. There's no reason why really. I just have never really cared for them.

I will say, however, that I have seen more actual reports of hunters having issues with 300 (both sub and super). Now of course that could be for a variety of reasons, but it does seem to be a common theme.

Back
Top Bottom