School me - How not to get ripped off by out of state purchase

Over the years trading on GB the most common form of payment is USPS money order. Federal crime if things go wrong. Buyer sends MO, seller ships. If the seller defaults the feds WILL get involved.

I know people say get a USPS MO because its a federal crime etc but have you ever seen anyone use a USPS MO, get shafted, the feds get involved and they get their money back or their item? Because I haven't. At the end of the day you're still out of your hard earned money.

I know people say get a USPS MO because its a federal crime etc but have you ever seen anyone use a USPS MO, get shafted, the feds get involved and they get their money back or their item? Because I haven't. At the end of the day you're still out of your hard earned money.

It's not happened to me, but I've read, on another collectors forum, of instances where people have got their $ back.

As mentioned, it's, (or was), the most common form of payment requested on GB, and I've bought and sold using them without a problem many times over the years.

As you say, YVMV.

When dealing with out of state stuff

I have the person send a Postal Money Order to my local gun shop

When it arrives,they call me

I cash it,and if it’s legit and no problem then i have the FFl send out my item

I do not have anything sent to my personal address,or take a check

You could have them send you a pic of the item laying on top of a recent newspaper. That would establish possession on that date. As for shipping and receiving, you would just have to trust from there that it would be shipped as stated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If no feedback and out of state I'd avoid. can't tell you how many cloned Armslist guns I've seen. Scammer took the pictures directly from Gunbroker with very similar write up, different state and much lower cost.

Gunbroker guarantees any purchase so no qualms there.

I have morons try the stupid "Certified check" payment scam if I list an item on Armslist. Armslist even says only deal in person.

I've bought from people on Gunboards out of state but only with long term accounts and with feedback.

Depends. I saw an ad for a NIB Hi Standard Model 104 Trophy on scamlist. I thought surely it must be a scam at $425. I talked to the seller and he seemed legit so I mailed him a money order. A week later my FFL calls me and says come get your pistol. It was as described, new in the box with the paperwork, cardboard insert, all attachments.....pristine except for a 1/2" layer of dust where the box had sat open on top of his FIL's safe for God knows how long. You never know. Sometimes if it seems too good to be true, you still have to take the chance. I really thought I was getting scammed but I was willing to take the risk.

Before I found this site I sold on Gunboards and AK files. Used USPS Money Orders and never had a issue. Its about trust. I also never dealt with anyone I couldn't find some kind of feedback for.

Back
Top Bottom