• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

School me on carrying a firearm in a commercial vehical

I knew a truck driver the carried a 12 gauge pump shotgun in his truck. It was not a tactical model and that was a conscious choice of his. He did not want it to look like an assault weapon. However the barrel was only 18 inches with no choke .
He kept it magazine loaded but chamber empty.

Such a weapon is not legal in all states but it is legal in many states including some places where handgun of any description would not be legal .

If he had carried it unloaded with the chamber and magazine empty he would be legal in even more states, but then the gun would be less available for self-defense.

If you get a nonresident carry permit from states like Utah and Florida, you can get reciprocity with many other states ---I don't know what the count is, but it's probably close to 40.

But as others have said above, if you were a commercial driver you never know when you'll be dispatch to in off-limits location. A prison, a local jail, a school, some federal transportation facility, a commercial
Airport...

Military and prisons used to let you check them. I even checked mine at the Canadian border and retrieved when I came back out. But that was almost thirty years ago.

Fmcsa 173.54 states that you cannot in section f;
otherwise provided in this subchapter, the following explosives shall not be offered for transportation or transported:

(a) An explosive that has not been approved in accordance with § 173.56 of this subpart.

(b) An explosive mixture or device containing a chlorate and also containing:

(1) An ammonium salt, including a substituted ammonium or quaternary ammonium salt; or

(2) An acidic substance, including a salt of a weak base and a strong acid.

(c) A leaking or damaged package or article containing an explosive.

(d) Propellants that are unstable, condemned or deteriorated.

(e) Nitroglycerin, diethylene glycol dinitrate, or any other liquid explosives not specifically authorized by this subchapter.

(f) A loaded firearm (except as provided in 49 CFR 1544.219).

(g) Fireworks that combine an explosive and a detonator.

(h) Fireworks containing yellow or white phosphorus.

(i) A toy torpedo, the maximum outside dimension of which exceeds 23 mm (0.906 inch), or a toy torpedo containing a mixture of potassium chlorate, black antimony (antimony sulfide), and sulfur, if the weight of the explosive material in the device exceeds 0.26 g (0.01 ounce).

(j) Explosives specifically forbidden in the § 172.101 table of this subchapter.

(k) Explosives not meeting the acceptance criteria specified in § 173.57 of this subchapter.

(l) An explosive article with its means of initiation or ignition installed, unless approved in accordance with § 173.56.

Military and prisons used to let you check them. I even checked mine at the Canadian border and retrieved when I came back out. But that was almost thirty years ago.

I thought about this being a possibility, then thought about the outcome of the other possibility, and figured no way in hell I was even gonna come close to the checkpoint with a gun.

Though I have to say, the search of my cab and sleeper was hit or miss on the things and areas they obviously searched.

A few guys I know of have spare hollowed out CB's. They keep it in. From my understanding no one ever questions or takes a second glance at a driver with a spare CB. Not saying it's legal but some food for thought.

Back
Top Bottom