• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Shipping firearms

This isn't completely accurate, it is illegal to KNOWINGLY sell a firearm to felon or other prohibited person, or to KNOWINGLY sell to a resident of aother state.
The key word is knowingly.

There isn't any law that requires you to investigate the home resident state or the legal status of a buyer in a private firearm transaction.

As a side note there is a long list of reasons a person maybe a prohibited person, (felon, domestic violence conviction, currently under indictment, in the country illegally, adjudicated mentally ill, dishonorable discharge from the armed service, the illegal use of controled substances, etc).
That idea that having one show a state ID and or a WCL by no means proves that the buyer isn't a prohibited person, it just gives the seller a false sense of security...

You kinda jumped in the middle of something. Maybe you should have read the entire thread?

The KEY word is BUYING

It wasn't about knowing anything. It was about, "Why is it all on the seller, and not the buyer"?

If someone under the age of 21 buys alcohol from a store, the store gets the $$fine$$, the person that initiated the crime, gets off with "don't do that again"

Is it illegal for someone to buy from someone out of state?
(let's assume that the person going to another state to buy a firearm knows that they are not a resident of that state.)

Is it illegal for a felon to buy a firearm?
(let's just assume that the felon, knows he's a felon)

Why is it illegal for a felon to be in possession of a firearm, but not illegal for him to buy a firearm?

It's a crime for Joe Citizen to lie to Law Enforcement, but Law Enforcement are encouraged to lie to Joe Citizen.

You kinda jumped in the middle of something. Maybe you should have read the entire thread?

The KEY word is BUYING

It wasn't about knowing anything. It was about, "Why is it all on the seller, and not the buyer"?

If someone under the age of 21 buys alcohol from a store, the store gets the $$fine$$, the person that initiated the crime, gets off with "don't do that again"

(let's assume that the person going to another state to buy a firearm knows that they are not a resident of that state.)

Why is it illegal for a felon to be in possession of a firearm, but not illegal for him to buy a firearm?

It's a crime for Joe Citizen to lie to Law Enforcement, but Law Enforcement are encouraged to lie to Joe Citizen.

Well now you’re getting into semantics. If a known felon decides to go out of state to buy a firearm knowing he can not own one, that’s on him. A felon doesn’t care whom he puts into a situation of breaking the law. BuThe felon cannot legally buy a firearm so most likely he will go an illegal route. Not illegal that law abiding citizen Joe sells it to him but knowing he cannot own one. The law states a felon can not own or be in possession of a firearm and they are told that in explicit terms. If the felon becomes in possession of one they have to eat that gun charge and possibly the person who sold it to them. Fair or unfair.

As far as being illegal to buy from someone out of state it is not illegal. But, the rule is that it needs to go through the FFL of the state the buyer resides in. Which, can be looked at in many ways. Buy and have it shipped to an FFL or meet the seller at a border FFL to the buyers state if possible and have the FFL intake it and -4473 it out to the buyer at a cost for service of that FFL. I see what you’re getting at and it can be a rabbit hole if someone wanted to really make it one. Which, you’ve kind of exposed here in the thread.

My local post office postmaster told me post office insurance is next to worthless, that is why I ship UPS, never had a problem.

I have had real world experience with insurance claims with UPS and USPS. I have NEVER had UPS pay a claim when it was first presented. USPS - always.

SOP for UPS is to first deny the claim on the basis of "improper packaging." They did this on one of my personal items which I had taken to the depot and had a receipt that the packaging was in order, and met UPS standard.

At one time, there was a memo floating around verifying this.

UPS lost a buddy's set of Remington 3200 barrels, and refused to pay up when the replacement value was submitted (and they were properly declared and insured). It took a year and threat of a lawsuit to get that claim paid.

USPS has always (like twice) been "fill out the form, wait for the check".

The KEY word is BUYING

I read the entire thread and I just sort of went off in a different direction with my statement. The buyer could possibly be charged with conspiracy if he knowingly bought a firearm from an out-of-state resident. It would take a real idiot to get caught buying/ selling a firearm from an out-of-state resident unless he was caught up in a law enforcement operation, then he more than likely has other problems already

Back
Top Bottom