• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Shotgun recommendations

Highly recommend my flooded timber duck gun the CZ Utility G2 12 gauge. It’s got a 20” barrel and cycles low recoil dove loads no problamo. They sell at Academy for $550 new.
903AF5DA-E22B-4006-8A21-FF962F38D97A.jpeg

Skeet requires an open choke shorter barreled gun.

Trap is longer shots, hence tighter choke.

Home defense leans toward shorter shots and open chokes.

I used to shoot a lot of skeet. I used an over and under. That, and semi-autos were the guns of choice.

It was very rare to see a pump shotgun on the skeet field. It can be done, but it requires lots of skill and practice.

I shoot clays with a pump action shotgun. It's all I've ever owned until recently, although I have tried other peoples borrowed over / under doubles and semi automatic guns.

I am willing to accept that a "true pair" presented simultaneously will put me at a disadvantage; by the time I pump that's an extra half a second one of the birds has flown away from me.

But my level of interest in shattering clays is not high enough to pay a lot of money for a gun just for that purpose, although recently I did trade into a Winchester model 1400 Mark II which is a semi auto gun with a two shot magazine. It may help improve my scores in this game.

A good semi-auto shotgun that uses easily interchangeable barrels, one of which is a fairly long vent ribbed barrel that uses interchangeable choke tubes, is probably the best all-around shotgun for skeet and personal defense. But make sure it has a reputation for performing with low brass small birdshot loads. Some semi autos are only reliable with hard recoiling loads of buckshot or 3" magnums.

If you weren't before, I'll bet you're pretty good at SHUCKING that "Trombone Gun" now, huh? :)
Ive shot thousands of rounds of 5 stand and sporting clays this year with an old remington 870. I bet i have 25,000 rounds or more through that old shotgun.
Guthrie Guthrie is the exception to the rule. As T The Old Jaybird said earlier....that skillset is rare. He would probably be breaking them all if he had a Semi Auto :-)

You have lots of good choices in that price range. You could select a double barrel, semi or pump. Chose what ever action suites you best. You could even buy two shotguns. If that were the case I would go with one in the 18 1/2" and one in a 26" barrel with screw in chokes. If you were going with one shotgun and one barrel length, I like the 21". In this case I would definitely go with a screw in choke model. This would be a good happy medium. Or one shotgun with 2 barrels in the earlier lengths mentioned. With a thousand dollars your options are almost limitless. Try shouldering different guns to see what seems most natural and easy for you. And yes in this range you can most definitely get a good quality weapon.

Thank you al for the recommendations. I should have stated this in my post, but this would be my first shotgun.

Have never shot trap/skeet but would like to get into the sport.

Back
Top Bottom