• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

So solly Glock. But the Army goes with SIG!

Word through the grapevine is that the P320 is the current front runner for the FAMS contract to purchase a new pistol in 9mm.

I've heard, unofficially, that Glock is out of the running. If I had to guess, and I'm guessing because I have not been able to obtain a copy of the FAR (Firearms Acquisition Request), that one of the criteria is the pistol cannot have a requirement that it has be dry-fired before disssembly. That's what dropped the Glock from the running the last time the FAMS looked at a new service pistol.

I don't believe the S&W M&P is in there, either. The last time the FAMS looked at new pistols, the M&P was too large in size and the Compact too small to meet the requirements of the previous FAR. S&W at the time looked at building a pistol just for the contract; basically a full-size frame with the Compact series top end, Warren Tactical sights and the trigger from the Pro-series. That project never came to tuition.

Word through the grapevine is that the P320 is the current front runner for the FAMS contract to purchase a new pistol in 9mm.

I've heard, unofficially, that Glock is out of the running. If I had to guess, and I'm guessing because I have not been able to obtain a copy of the FAR (Firearms Acquisition Request), that one of the criteria is the pistol cannot have a requirement that it has be dry-fired before disssembly. That's what dropped the Glock from the running the last time the FAMS looked at a new service pistol.

I don't believe the S&W M&P is in there, either. The last time the FAMS looked at new pistols, the M&P was too large in size and the Compact too small to meet the requirements of the previous FAR. S&W at the time looked at building a pistol just for the contract; basically a full-size frame with the Compact series top end, Warren Tactical sights and the trigger from the Pro-series. That project never came to tuition.
Smith partnered with General Dynamics for the MWS project. There hasn't been any confirmation of exactly what they submitted, but I would love to know exactly what it was. It doesn't seem like they would need to partner with GD just to produce the M&P 2.0 for the military.

The FAMS did not submit their own FAR, they are piggybacking on a FAR submitted by ICE. The FFDO's (Federal Flight Deck Officers, aka armed pilots) also want to standardize by using the same handgun as the FAMS, so they are on board as well.

Smith partnered with General Dynamics for the MWS project. There hasn't been any confirmation of exactly what they submitted, but I would love to know exactly what it was. It doesn't seem like they would need to partner with GD just to produce the M&P 2.0 for the military.

Yes, I still can't find any word on exactly what caused the M&P to be dropped early on from the Army trials. I know for a fact what dropped it from the previous FAMS trials, but that would not have been a deal-breaker on the Army contract as the P320 functions the same.

Yes, I still can't find any word on exactly what caused the M&P to be dropped early on from the Army trials. I know for a fact what dropped it from the previous FAMS trials, but that would not have been a deal-breaker on the Army contract as the P320 functions the same.
There's been a lot of speculation on accuracy being the X factor for the M&P. But that's all it is at this point, speculation based on complaints about the original M&P. It's funny because no one even knows what Smith submitted.

The 320 selection is really interesting, because it reportedly failed the FBI tests miserably. I wish they would publish the results from both selections.

does the military really need a new pistol? how often are they used? seems like it would be less expensive to update the M9's in service. Special Operations are always going to use what they want and they are likely to be the only ones who will use their pistols in combat. The average soldier why would they use a pistol when they have a rifle?
Just seems like unnecessary spending on equipment they don't need when it could be spent on things they do need.

When was the last time you deployed? The m9 is a total piece of Crap and a pain in the butt to keep clean in the desert. M9s are used by Officers, ALL MPs, Senior NCOs, and All Flight Crews in the army. I dreaded the day that I would have to use my M9 in combat. The Glocks that the guys I supported used worked Flawlessly.

one of the reasons the Sig beat out the Glock Would be the external safety

Back
Top Bottom