• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

So what was your first ride?

thanks for getting the Volare jingle stuck in my head..... my wife thanks you as well.
You're welcome...I think.
https://www.reactiongifs.com/r/rcrdo.gif

whattya mean "Hemi 4 speed"? Never heard of it. I thought Hemi meant 426 Hemi. I was always under the impression it had to do with the shape of the heads.

The hemi 4 speed was an 18-spline 4 speed found on 426 Hemi's and some 440s opposed to the regular 23 spline that was standard on 383, 360, 340, etc. The 18 spline was pretty much indestructible and when coupled with a short throw shifter only needed the clutch for launching off the line.

1957 Plymouth. I broke the clutch lever support and actually drove it around some with clutch engaged all the time. Had to roll it off to crank and sychronize the gears so I could change without a clutch. Hard times. I think I was 15 with only a learners license. Got rid of it and got me a 55 Ford Crown Vic blue and white. Blew the engine and sold it to a junk yard for $55 and the body was very nice. I have had many since that I wish I had kept. Still got the bug. Just bought a 23 Camaro LT1 and love it.

The hemi 4 speed was an 18-spline 4 speed found on 426 Hemi's and some 440s opposed to the regular 23 spline that was standard on 383, 360, 340, etc. The 18 spline was pretty much indestructible and when coupled with a short throw shifter only needed the clutch for launching off the line.
I had no idea. Thanks! I’ve always loved old mopars…. Someday, I’ll have a 69 or 70 charger.
Thanks for the history lesson, brother!

I had no idea. Thanks! I’ve always loved old mopars…. Someday, I’ll have a 69 or 70 charger.
Thanks for the history lesson, brother!
My Super Bee ran mid-low 11s, my 73 Charger ran low 10s with the same 440 built a little different, torqueflight 727, and a Dana rear end with 456 gears built by Strange engineering. Mr. Norm, google if you don't know who that is, was my inspiration.

whattya mean "Hemi 4 speed"? Never heard of it. I thought Hemi meant 426 Hemi. I was always under the impression it had to do with the shape of the heads.
“Hemi” Denoted the shape of the combustion chamber. “Hemi-spherical” . That is my understanding of where Dodge came up with that label. :)

Back
Top Bottom