• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

So what was your first ride?

1965 Volkswagon beetle. My dad's cousin was a mechanic who used to go out and find beetles and refurbish them. Looked just like this one when I got it. During the winter, I kept a long-handled ice scraper with me to keep the windshield clear as I was driving down the road. Defroster barely worked. I could buy anything I needed for it out of the JC Whitney catalog. Seat covers, muffler, whatever. Good on gas.

1668089161642.png

Mine was a 76 Celica similar to this one but with a white exterior. I was 16 years old and this was my ticket to paradise. Got me to school every day, work at the grocery store, and most importantly, my car for dating. It had the seat covers you would buy in a box from K Mart and a decent aftermarket stereo. I saw this on eBay Motors and it brought back a flood of memories.

View attachment 4941993
My older brother bought one of these that looked just like this one. He had it for a few years, changed jobs, and got a company car. He sold me the Celica for a good price. It was pretty sporty back in the day. Even had AC.

First car?
‘49 Pontiac turd-brown 4dr roachback straight 8 flathead with a knocking rod and hydramatic transmission.
A buddy and I went in together and bought it for $35 to run around the island.
ID’d the cylinder with the knock (#1), dropped the pan, pulled the rod and piston, adjusted the valves permanently shut, and drove the **** out of it.
It’d still run 95 on top end, but vibrated like a mf’er.
We eventually swapped out the engine for a good ‘53 model, but then our parents made us sell it.
Something adult about licenses and registrations and laws and stuff.

Second car was my mom’s hand-me-down ‘54 Mercury 4dr 254 ci ohv V8 with Merc-O-Matic transmission.

Mine was a 76 Celica similar to this one but with a white exterior. I was 16 years old and this was my ticket to paradise. Got me to school every day, work at the grocery store, and most importantly, my car for dating. It had the seat covers you would buy in a box from K Mart and a decent aftermarket stereo. I saw this on eBay Motors and it brought back a flood of memories.

View attachment 4941993
Lol.. we may have had the same car.. you just described my 1st ride

View attachment 4941993
I had one like that except it was completely falling apart as my second car... the first was a 78 monza coup with a little 4cyl and cracked exhaust manifold. The both we awesome compared walking!

1972 Mercedes 220D during the week

View attachment 4942060

View attachment 4942062
On the weekends 😉

Because that's what my 16 year old self would say.
Oh look, I found the picture of the day I got it.

Screenshot_2022-11-10-09-28-11-55_965bbf4d18d205f782c6b8409c5773a4.jpg

You want to talk about slow? I've never seen so many middle fingers as I did driving in this thing. Small non-turbo diesel.

Now that I'm older, I actually kinda miss it. A lot of...ahem...high school memories were made in that car.

Back
Top Bottom